• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break Bring Your Writing prompts HERE. IMPROMPTOU FLASH CLUB

Pamela Jo

Blogger
For those that miss the Flash Club come and drop your prompts AND your reactions to them here. If there are enough we can persuade Pete to bring back the Flash Club. Here are some photo223164512_3932627930193722_499414483882562698_n.jpgIMG_2450 (1).jpeg_MG_6045 (1).jpegIMG_3492.jpeg242393810_2904228856455732_2987887502267759896_n.jpg prompts. Anyone got any word ones?

If something tickles your creative fancy post it here in file form with the pic or passage that inspired you. Tell us what you are aiming for: humour, scares, irony.... We'll give you points out of 10 for how we feel you got to what you were aiming for. Anonymously -just like the Flash Club.

@Pamela Jo I think a barrier to people joining in previously was when there was a high word count. Time was an issue when people wanted to prioritise their existing writing projects.@AgentPete
One option would be to reduce it to the nano-level… e.g. “One Perfect Sentence”.

I don’t know how enjoyable this would be, tho? But it might solve the time dilemma (at least for some). And the prompts would have to be pretty engaging, i.e. interesting enough to stick in your brain and get you thinking on the morning commute, or wherever.

The idea of “the perfect sentence” is something that’s always fascinated me – it is actually attainable, and you usually know when you’ve done it.

For the new, improved FF trial I would suggest a maximum of 1k words. So any length from one perfect sentence to a story of 1k. That is the maximum of FF I've seen for contest submissions. And I did get a about 5 short or long listed contest placements from things I wrote for Litopia's Flash contest.

Post your prompt, the submission, and genre anonymously maybe in a separate thread? We'll vote on how close you got to your goal- 10 out of ten being BULLS EYE!

Since Bev and Mick are competing on Manhood Products we'll see if we can identify their voices.

For now entries will just count as votes to bring back a new and improved Flash contest? Those with the most points counting as ten out of ten would maybe be posted with the blog? Or be published in the future popups as a video read? What do you think @AgentPete? This is a trial but in future submissions can be as long or short as the writer has time for? And the judging be points out of ten for how close the reader feels the writer got to his stated goal or genre. Could be Stephen King Horror, Oldtimey SF or Paranormal Womens Romantasy.

Last edited:
For now entries will just count as votes to bring back a new and improved Flash contest?
Entries on this spontaneous FF thread would certainly indicate interest, yes!

Those with the most points counting as ten out of ten would maybe be posted with the blog? Or be published in the future popups as a video read? What do you think @AgentPete? This is a trial but in future submissions can be as long or short as the writer has time for? And the judging be points out of ten for how close the reader feels the writer got to his stated goal or genre. Could be Stephen King Horror, Oldtimey SF or Paranormal Womens Romantasy.
The thing has to be fun to do, at the time you do it. That’s the motivation: it’s got to be easy to participate, and it must be enjoyable to do. I don’t think a deferred “prize” is as motivational.

This is still very, very early stage, tho, and we should probably kick it around a bit more (in the Huddle?) in its own thread… At this stage, I want to be able to just spew some ideas out, not because they’re good or final, but because they may lead onto something that may be… :)

Hey, AP...how about offering some virtual bling? Give the winner a trophy icon below the postbit (make it bigger than the flag, tho'). The current winner keeps it only until next month's winner is chosen. It's more special that way.

Hey, AP...how about offering some virtual bling? Give the winner a trophy icon below the postbit (make it bigger than the flag, tho'). The current winner keeps it only until next month's winner is chosen. It's more special that way.
Yes, that's pretty cool and very easy to do.
You can change your flag, btw, and time you want. I'm wondering about Micronesia next... :)

I like the idea of one sentence because it really makes you concentrate on word choice and can teach us how to improve our line-by-line writing.

I like the idea of one sentence because it really makes you concentrate on word choice and can teach us how to improve our line-by-line writing.
One sentence is not fun or useful for me though is why I think keep the rules very loose. I wouldn't participate.

Write what you are feeling and what you have time for. More like the setup for the blog but fiction. I dont think Mick or I want to do this for any prize, just for a chance to kick around an idea and have fun.

Right now this isn't anything official, just a way to test drive some ideas. Anything official can be discussed in Huddle etc. But @AgentPete I don't want to delay the enjoyment of Manhood products. We all know how time sensitive they are.

One sentence is not fun or useful for me though is why I think keep the rules very loose. I wouldn't participate.

Write what you are feeling and what you have time for. More like the setup for the blog but fiction. I dont think Mick or I want to do this for any prize, just for a chance to kick around an idea and have fun.

Right now this isn't anything official, just a way to test drive some ideas. Anything official can be discussed in Huddle etc. But @AgentPete I don't want to delay the enjoyment of Manhood products. We all know how time sensitive they are.
Best to keep rules to the minimum... all in the name of creativity.

Ps. I've been researching manhood products. Quite an eye opener. I never realised such things were possible.

Er, yeah, you have a point :)
Some of the copywriting for these things can be extraordinary. I mean, most of it is just vile. But I saw one in my junk folder the other day that was actually very sharp (I did not open the thing, OK? I’m referring to the email title!)
I’d like to quote it… but then I’d have to ban myself :)

So what I’m thinking is how to gamify this a bit.
Standard FF stuff, with the usual prompts, can be found anywhere. It’s pretty generic stuff.
If we do this again, I’d like to make it a really fun / interesting thing to do, but not so demanding that it’s just another item on the to-do list. Gamify…?

So what I’m thinking is how to gamify this a bit.
Standard FF stuff, with the usual prompts, can be found anywhere. It’s pretty generic stuff.
If we do this again, I’d like to make it a really fun / interesting thing to do, but not so demanding that it’s just another item on the to-do list. Gamify…?
This is what I would like. The only prize I care about is publication and a Byline. recognition of my peers. The old voting system sucked. So we ditch it.

Bring your own prompt and your goal in writing a piece of any length up to 1k. The judging is on how closely you get to your stated goal. The most points gets published on the blog page. Anonymous unless published. THEN you get a byline and even a little chance of something to brag about to an agent?

EX210909826_1134296670388104_3963508768311648644_n.jpg Terry Pratchett style humorous piece on gardening. 500 words.

This is what I would like. The only prize I care about is publication and a Byline. recognition of my peers. The old voting system sucked. So we ditch it.

Bring your own prompt and your goal in writing a piece of any length up to 1k. The judging is on how closely you get to your stated goal. The most points gets published on the blog page. Anonymous unless published. THEN you get a byline and even a little chance of something to brag about to an agent?
Kick it around a bit in the Huddle tomorrow.

EXView attachment 18956 Terry Pratchett style humorous piece on gardening. 500 words.
I see Manhood Products everywhere now... :(

Back