Balancing act

Reaching 'The End'

Luke Bitmead Bursary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinne Weiss

May 19, 2015
New Zealand
So here's a question for you all, as I am currently struggling with this. At what point do you give up on publishing a finished book and move on to something new, particularly when that finished book is the first of a series, and you can't bring yourself to finish the rest of the series unless you know you can publish it? I have half a dozen other novel ideas clamouring to be written, many of which are more in line with what agents are asking for these days, and truly I'd rather be writing than trolling the internet for potential agents. But I still believe in the quality of the finished novel, and feel like I should finish writing the series. But why waste time writing any more in the series, if it's not going to be published? And how do I know it's not something unrelated to the writing, like word count, or the fact that the story is split over 2 books, or the fact I live in New Zealand that is making agents reject the story--some of these things could be addressed if I knew they were an issue, but because rejections come as ringing silence or a form letter, I learn nothing useful. Argh!

I'm facing a similar dilemma, for I wrote my first novel in 2014, then spent the first seven months of 2015 querying literary agents. I approached 160 of them, and it took a while for me to realise that I'd made a beginner's mistake in writing a story that was 176,000 words long—almost double the acceptable length for a debut novel by an unknown author.

There was no way that I could hack it down to the correct length, though removing repeated and filler words reduced it to 160,000. I still had faith in the story, and my beta-readers loved it, so decided to hang onto it for use as a third or fourth novel in a series about my Cornish detective—it's better to travel hopefully, even if you don't know where you're going!

I decided to write a prequel to the first novel, of the correct length and with a simpler plot containing the attention-grabbing elements of naturism, BDSM and smuggling. This caused me unanticipated technical problems, for I had to reintroduce the key players again, meaning I needed to tinker with the first manuscript. I'm on the last chapter of the second novel and have lots of ideas coming to me for a third story in the series, with tentative plans for a fourth.

I've become bound up in the life of my protagonist detective and his investigations, though I originally wrote a psychological thriller as I saw it was a genre that sold well. I'd been intending to write a literary novel about relationships, dating and how technology affects the way we communicate but realised that literary novels are hard to sell even for established authors. I certainly didn't think genre writing was dumbing down and made my characterisation and plotting complex.

I'll probably query the literary agents who had the manners to give me a personalised rejection, with the second novel. I've become more commercially aware in the last two years, knowing what's marketable to modern tastes. There's still self-publishing ebooks, but I already have 44 on Smashwords and Amazon, which have disappeared in the ocean of fresh titles appearing every day. If I had a twin brother I'd get him marketing them and me non-stop, but I don't have the time.

Anything to do with book publishing is unpredictable—no one knows what will work until it does! We shouldn't put obstacles in our own way, as there are hurdles enough to leap. I think that my chances of finding a readership are higher with a series of stories featuring the same detective, set in a beautiful location where he solves intriguing crimes. I've read of authors finding representation for their first novel, only to be panicked by their agent asking them if there are more books already written, especially if it has the makings of a series.

I may be waiting for a train that never arrives, but at least I'll have matching luggage to take on the journey if it steams into the station.

Yeah, I guess my problem is that I'd like to explore stories outside the series I've started, and there's a cost to that. Anyway, later in the day, after posting this, I decided that since I'd spent all day flogging books already written, I'd treat myself to writing something new, so instead of quitting my work day at 5, like usual, I ended up working until almost 10 pm, having great fun blocking out a completely new novel. Only possible because the kids are away this week, but it allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, as they say, at least for yesterday.

Yeah, I guess my problem is that I'd like to explore stories outside the series I've started, and there's a cost to that. Anyway, later in the day, after posting this, I decided that since I'd spent all day flogging books already written, I'd treat myself to writing something new, so instead of quitting my work day at 5, like usual, I ended up working until almost 10 pm, having great fun blocking out a completely new novel. Only possible because the kids are away this week, but it allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, as they say, at least for yesterday.

Variety can be a stimulus to creativity. At the very least trying something new is a palate cleanser. When I returned to creative writing three years ago I started with short stories and poems, responding to ideas that came to me unbidden during the day and while I slept. Several poems expanded into novellas as if I'd planted a seed in my subconscious that grew new leaves.

Personally, I'm doing both...kinda.

I finished my Mystery novel and have it (and the query) exactly how I want it. Currently, I'm contacting agents regarding the mystery, but it hasn't gotten too much traction yet.

Like you @Robinne Weiss, I have tons of other story ideas that are floating around in my head. Since querying is very slow going, I've decided to write a new story while the querying is happening. I'll send out about 10 queries at a time and write while I wait for responses. If I don't get any, I keep writing until I get a few. When that happens, I'll send out more queries, then write more. Rinse, repeat. The advantage of this system is that I've already done all of my rounds of beta reading and editing. The book I'm querying is where I want it to be and the query letter is complete (aside from personalizing it for each agent). This gives me tons of free time to focus on my new story - the viking space opera.

And this is really working for me. Since the beginning of April, I've managed to put almost 38K words to paper! At this rate, I should be able to have the book done by the end of May...if not sooner!

I think your decision to block out new novels was a good one. Dwelling on a single MS gets very tiring after a while and can really diminish your desire to continue with the series (if more are planned). My mystery is designed to be the first in a series of novels, but continuing to think about the first was just beginning to wear on me. Moving to a new WIP (in a completely different genre) felt freeing and I'm glad I did so. I'm guessing you will be too.

And good luck! :D

My advice for what it's worth: don't give up and keep writing what you want to write. A corollary, keep your day job.

I wrote my second book (in a trilogy) while trying to get the first one published. By the time, I'd heard that you should put your first book in a drawer and move on, I'd finished the second. I was #@%&*ed if I was going to put two books in a drawer, so I went back a rewrote the first and FINALLY got a publisher, just an ebook but published. A Perfect Victim ended up being named 2015 best mystery by the Electronic Publishing Industry Coalition.

That doesn't mean lots of sales. I just checked Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,434,583 Paid in Kindle Store

Yeah, there's no question I'm continuing to write, it's just whether to carry on with the series, not knowing if I'm going to manage to publish the first book, or move on to new ideas. I've decided to spend some time on the new ideas. The particular book in question feels like it's going to be one of those 5-week wonders that pours out at a rate of 3000+ words a day, so it should be a tidy diversion from continuing the previous series.

So here's a question for you all, as I am currently struggling with this. At what point do you give up on publishing a finished book and move on to something new, particularly when that finished book is the first of a series, and you can't bring yourself to finish the rest of the series unless you know you can publish it? I have half a dozen other novel ideas clamouring to be written, many of which are more in line with what agents are asking for these days, and truly I'd rather be writing than trolling the internet for potential agents. But I still believe in the quality of the finished novel, and feel like I should finish writing the series. But why waste time writing any more in the series, if it's not going to be published? And how do I know it's not something unrelated to the writing, like word count, or the fact that the story is split over 2 books, or the fact I live in New Zealand that is making agents reject the story--some of these things could be addressed if I knew they were an issue, but because rejections come as ringing silence or a form letter, I learn nothing useful. Argh!

I was thinking about this. I guess I can't fully empathise with the frustrations of querying yet, but I do sympathise.

I was wondering, if you've tried lots of agents but there's no interest yet, how about changing your MS? Make the word count fit the norm for YA? Change the story so the two books are both self contained or condense it down to a single book? It will take some time to do that and I understand the reluctance until an actual agent/editor/publisher tells you do it, but if you, as the writer, can spot some things which may hinder the sale of the book, e.g. word count, the book split over 2 books, I think they'll see it too.

I can't see living in New Zealand to be a problem though, as most things, even meetings, done on-line these days.

These are only my thoughts ; feel free to discard/ignore! ;)

Sounds like you are pushing on ahead with new ideas in the meantime! :) :)

Best of luck!

I was thinking about this. I guess I can't fully empathise with the frustrations of querying yet, but I do sympathise.

I was wondering, if you've tried lots of agents but there's no interest yet, how about changing your MS? Make the word count fit the norm for YA? Change the story so the two books are both self contained or condense it down to a single book? It will take some time to do that and I understand the reluctance until an actual agent/editor/publisher tells you do it, but if you, as the writer, can spot some things which may hinder the sale of the book, e.g. word count, the book split over 2 books, I think they'll see it too.

I can't see living in New Zealand to be a problem though, as most things, even meetings, done on-line these days.

These are only my thoughts ; feel free to discard/ignore! ;)

Sounds like you are pushing on ahead with new ideas in the meantime! :) :)

Best of luck!

Yes, I've changed the MS many times already, with little luck. The thing I'm thinking now is that I've got to somehow get it into one book, but then word count will be an issue (it's likely to hover around 130k). I originally wanted it to be one book, but after the assessor got through with it I realised I needed to do a whole lot more world building to satisfy my readers (I tend to write sparsely), and after that, it wouldn't fit in one book. But I've since run across more than one publisher who basically says to hell with those measly word counts--world-building is in, and anything under 100k words is probably not lush enough.

So when I stop grumbling, and after I write this fun MG frolic I just started, I'll probably go back and finish the second book (which is very close to finished anyway), and call it one. Right now, I've realised I'm just sick of it for the moment.

If you feel sick of it, take a break, but go back. I think. I have a hen's breakfast of a draft of the first part of a trilogy which I've written and rewritten and it's still not working, I've got draft 1 of the second book ready to be revised, and I've yet to write book 3. In the interim, I've managed to get contracts for other stuff, and getting that done is a priority, but after that, hopefully early next year, I'll revisit the messy stuff and probably do a complete rewrite. That will be pass 5 or 6 for the first book and pass 2 for the second one, but the second one is much better than the first. I think really it is characterisation that hasn't worked, world building, action, secondary characters are all good, but my protagonist doesn't come properly alive in book 1.

Check and see if you can identify what to zing up. Good luck. And keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaching 'The End'

Luke Bitmead Bursary

Back