Audiobook: 45 hours and 34 minutes long.

I'm in Print!

A bad case of Tsundoku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
For those audiobook narrators on the Colony, how does the prospect of recording for 45 hours and 34 minutes strike you? Lucy Ellmann's stream of consciousness novel Ducks, Newburyport is 1,003 pages long!

‘Surreal immediacy’: how a 1,000-page novel became a 45-hour audiobook

iu

They’re impossible to follow, in my experience. One of the first audiobooks I bought was War and Peace, unabridged. Something like 30+ hours, and it seemed good value-per-hour since it cost the same as shorter books. But I just couldn’t keep my place in the narrative.

I have discussed this with audiobook directors in publishing companies, and there’s a general feeling that a well-abridged audiobook can actually be a better experience for the reader than the full monty.

One of the first audiobooks I bought was War and Peace, unabridged. Something like 30+ hours, and it seemed good value-per-hour since it cost the same as shorter books. But I just couldn’t keep my place in the narrative.
The thousand or so pages of War and Peace are hard to keep your place in the narrative even in the written version. At least there, I could go back to previous chapters to make sure I understood. The first few hours of it would be daunting. A very serious book to put into an audiobook.

Last edited:
There are kids I know who speed up the audio books they read, getting through War and Peace (as one example) in ten hours (as reported, and I do believe). As long as the voice is strong enough, it apparently doesn't affect the enjoyment.

The audiobook I recorded was approximately nine hours (and for every hour there was at least 6-7 hours editing - probably more like ten!! - but I expect I shall be quicker with the next one). Even the mere thoughts of recording 45 hours makes me feel light headed. And sore-throat-ed.
I think as a narrator I'd lose interest and get very bored very quickly with something that length if it didn't fully engage me. I can't remember what I was reading to my kids once; but I was bored witless. After the first sentence I'd be off in my own head, oblivious to the words I was reading. Still don't have a clue what the story was about. Or what the book was for that matter. It must have been The Most Boring Narration In History (and they still came back for more!!!)

After the first sentence I'd be off in my own head, oblivious to the words I was reading. Still don't have a clue what the story was about. Or what the book was for that matter. It must have been The Most Boring Narration In History (and they still came back for more!!!)
That's kids for you. They like the sound of mum's voice is all. They were probably off in their own heads too :)

I bought Ulysses on Audible's daily deal for £1.99 a while back which is unabridged and weighs in at 27 hours plus.

"Bargain!" I thought but I'm struggling. Got as far as Bloom's story kicking off and the narrator, Jim Norton (Bishop Brennan from Fr. Ted) is excellent making it pretty accessible but I just keep thinking Meh... and switching to other titles in my library.

Perhaps when The Martians and Space Outlaws show up it might grip me a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm in Print!

A bad case of Tsundoku.

Back