Help! Anybody familiar with the scifi genre and willing to work for free?

T

Professional Illustrators for Front Cover

Birthdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
Good people, the problem is this. I wrote a scifi story which I thought would be snapped up by the first magazine I sent it to. I imagined the expressions of wonder and delight that would flit across the face of the lucky editor on whose desk it would land. After it gets published--I told myself--I will just put my feet up and wait for the commissions for additional work to come rolling in. Maybe I'll work the story up into a full-length novel, I told myself. Maybe--I told myself--even a film script.

Well, this morning it got rejected for the fourth time. There is something about what I have done that is not hitting the spot for magazine editors. Now, it could just be a case of the story not quite 'fitting' the magazine, and therefore a case of just persisting until I find the magazine that it does fit. But my concern is that there are flaws in the style or substance of what I have done, flaws that I simply do not see. So, absent the Houses, I was wondering if there are any Litopians with experience in the scifi genre who would be willing to take a look and critically comment on what I have done? It is 6,500 words, I am afraid.

Yes, I am asking you to work for free, but I am more than willing to reciprocate, if that would be helpful to anyone.

Last edited:
Always willing to help a fellow Litopian, not a whizz with sci-fi but I've read alot of varied genres. I don't mind working for free and love getting a sneak-peek at new books, although my reading list is getting longer.

Well I love sci-fi, and I have a novel in the very early stages, that is low priority at the moment. Can't say I'm an expert except at getting rejections (in the triple digits)! However, such a short story I might be able to have a look at, even with my schedule. Glad to help any Litopian given you are all so helpful ;)

Thank you both, very much. I am going to give it one more edit over the next day or so, just to see if I can pick up whatever it is that editors don't like, and then I will PM you the 'final' text before the weekend.

Selling SF shorts very often comes down to an individual editor's taste rather than the quality of the story, so don't assume you're doing anything wrong. I've yet to crack one of the SWFA qualifying markets but I've made a fair number of sales to the semi-pro and paying markets. Also check out anthologies for which your story might be a good fit. If you're looking for feedback from other SF writers http://critters.org/ is a good place to start.

For what it's worth, I'm a new member and avid Sci-Fi reader...and wanna be writer. I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Selling SF shorts very often comes down to an individual editor's taste rather than the quality of the story, so don't assume you're doing anything wrong.If you're looking for feedback from other SF writers http://critters.org/ is a good place to start.

Thank you, that's encouraging.

Interesting you should mention critters; I looked at the site some months ago, and asked Litopians if anyone had had experience with the site, but nobody had, so I didn't go any further. I am always slightly paranoid about posting my work in literary forums, even in members-only, password-protected sites, as it would be so easy for somebody to take one's ideas--not plagiarism so much as using one's original concept for their own story. Which would be fine if my concepts had already been published, but before that point, I get nervous. Am I too paranoid?

Interesting you should mention critters; I looked at the site some months ago, and asked Litopians if anyone had had experience with the site, but nobody had, so I didn't go any further. I am always slightly paranoid about posting my work in literary forums, even in members-only, password-protected sites, as it would be so easy for somebody to take one's ideas--not plagiarism so much as using one's original concept for their own story. Which would be fine if my concepts had already been published, but before that point, I get nervous. Am I too paranoid?[/QUOTE]

As writers (either publish or unpublished) we all tend to treat our story-lines like "children"...and become very protective of them. Being such an avid reader of sci-fi, it has become very hard not to have my story-lines "tainted" by another author. I'm sure we all go through that to some degree. One of the hardest things I had to do was to let someone else read my stuff. It does get easier after the first time; it's getting past that first time.
I don't know if you have watched ST:TOS. One episode was a foreshortened version of an old movie ("Balance of Terror" and "The Enemy Below"). I don't know how they got around it legally, because they were essentially the same story-line. I mention it only to illustrate that it does happen.

Thank you everybody - more help than I expected or deserve! I kind of regret talking the story up now....!
I have taken the day off today to give this and a couple of other stories my full attention, and will email you all by the end of the day.
Thanks again, all, for your generosity with your time and advice.

OK, I have now emailed all you kind people who offered to help. At least, I think I have - let me know if you haven't got it, and I will re-send. Thanks again!

Don't know if you sent one to me. If so, I didn't get it...yet....

Hi Marc - I don't know if you are UK based, but the British Science Fiction Association have free online writers' group for their members, where 5 or 6 members critique each others' stories bimonthly. I've found it very useful. And I echo what Kitty has said - there may well be nothing wrong with your story, it is often down to the individual editor. I've had a few successes with semi-pro markets in SF/F/H genres and I average about 10-12 rejections before getting a story accepted. Persevere!

Yes, have read plenty of sci-fi, love it. If you need another reader, add me to the list - I'm on a plane tomorrow so have some time.
James, thanks v much. I have now got a lot of consistent feedback on what is wrong with the current version. Is there any chance you would be willing to have a look at the revised version? Will take me a couple of weeks at least to get the revisions done.

Marc, I have read a lot of Science Fiction. I am no expert (who is?) but I would be very happy to read any version of your work. We all need other eyes and minds, other imaginations to unwrinkle the ruffled rumblings of our meanderings.

*Yes my muck-up of an pseudo-saying is purely intentional .... or is it?*

James, thanks v much. I have now got a lot of consistent feedback on what is wrong with the current version. Is there any chance you would be willing to have a look at the revised version? Will take me a couple of weeks at least to get the revisions done.
I would like to see it after you revise it.

Thank you very much, all of the above; the kindness of Litopians is becoming legendary. I am afraid I shall hold you all to your respective words.....
On a general note, this is the first story I have submitted for peer critique, and I have been blown away by people's generosity with their time, and by the quality of the critiques they have provided. The story already looks better, and furthermore the critical comments have enabled me to identify similar faults in some of my other stories. Fantastic. If this is what it will be like when the Houses are built, than I Just Can't Wait.
Thanks again to everybody.

Have only just got internet service back today, so I'm behind the times, but trying to catch up ;-)

Marc, if you're still looking for readers, I would love the opportunity to see your work and discuss it!

Jason - that's really kind. To be honest, with this particular story, I think that I have reached the point where I just have to stop tinkering and send it off. However, you don't escape that easily, because I have ~50 others in various stages of completion, crying out for readers....

Seriously though, I found the peer review process extraordinarily helpful; people have been very generous with their time and insights, and I have produced a much better story as a result. Bring on the Houses!

And if you're serious about doing a bit of reciprocal reading and reviewing, that would be great - but I need to be up-front and say that my commitments at present are such that I could only review short stories or a couple of chapters of a novel - I just can't manage to comment on a whole novel at the moment [when I do reviews for others, I try to do them properly, which means they can be quite detailed and time-consuming - and I have found that trying to do this type of job on a complete novel just doesn't work, I don't have the time, and do a rubbish job as a result].

Good to have you on board!

I completely understand — the book I'm trying to publish has a word count of about 269,000. I would love to send a single chapter.

Anything you're working on for which critique would be valuable — I'm thrilled to be a part of a group where everyone is interested in everyone else's writing.

Marc, I have 2 avid sci-fi readers who'd love to read for you and give feedback (they read fr me but prefer sci-fi to fantasy)

Thank you so much! It would be really appreciated...by me if not by your readers!
I will dredge up the stories that are closest to submission, and send you one by PM, if that's OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Professional Illustrators for Front Cover

Birthdays

Back