Poll Agents’ Directory – A Good Idea?

Should we maintain our own literary agent's directory?

• Yes

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poll Pop-Up Submissions 5th August

Poll Pop-Ups - Word of the Day or Book Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a fair amount of behind-the-scenes work to make this happen. Much is in place, but it may be a little while until I have time to finally put all the pieces together. Then we'll have to beta-test...

There's a fair amount of behind-the-scenes work to make this happen. Much is in place, but it may be a little while until I have time to finally put all the pieces together. Then we'll have to beta-test...

Yes I can imagine Pete. It’s a huge job but a worthwhile one. I’m no expert but I’ve had a good fiddle on AgentHunter, as it was then, and this week on Jericho Writers too. So I’d be more than happy to beta test when you’re ready.

I’m sure others will be happy to help too and it might make sense to do it by genre. We could volunteer for the genre we know best. I’m submitting to children’s picture book agents at the moment so I have a list from several sources for that genre that I’ve checked. So whenever you’re ready, just say the word.

Good idea, and I'd go along the lines @Carol Rose suggested: response, if any, time; what kind of response, form letter or personal, not the contents; if they have links to books doctors or other means that the author is required to pay up front.

A mention of selling track would be useful and the types of books they in effect represent which don't often match to the books they say they represent; if they have preferences for debut authors, because most of us are at that stage.

Usually this research is done by the author before submitting so it's a matter of setting up a check box that authors can fill out with the above information. quite a bit of work involved, but then there is the option to go public if that makes the site more valuable.

Last edited:
So far Peter has added one agency, and I have added another agency.

Calling Litopians querying agents; have you any listings to add based on recent information?

@yanapuma, if you can't see them, these are Redhammer Management.

and, open for crime, thrillers and more, see Jon Wood and other agents at

Submissions - ROGERS, COLERIDGE & WHITE

Last edited:
I think it’s a great idea!

@AgentPete I don’t know if you’ve done a ton of looking, but querytracker is a great example resource for a list that’s kept (mostly) up to date and semi-curated by the writers using it.

EDIT: I didn't notice this wasn't an older thread until I loaded the website up on my computer. Just ignore me...I'm behind the times...

Last edited:
Sorry Eva for not getting back to you. I don't have 'what's ap' acess at the moment because my phone has no memory. No reflection on you. I will attempt top remedy this but it might take some time.

Oh, that's all right, I have quite a few friends on WhatsApp I don't hear for ages or only sporadically.

I have no idea even after viewing this whether its a good idea or not ... can anyone out there advise me ... although my financial situation at the moment is appalling to say the least ... so not sure I can afford an upgrade anyway .. Obviously as a lowly non-payer I had no idea I was missing out on so much.

The agent directory is still very fledgling on here. Have you looked at Query tracker? It's very good, though you have to cross refer to the agents' websites.
Re your other thread today, I think Benefactor gets you access to the writing groups which have been transformative for me anyway.

The agent directory is still very fledgling on here. Have you looked at Query tracker? It's very good, though you have to cross refer to the agents' websites.
Re your other thread today, I think Benefactor gets you access to the writing groups which have been transformative for me anyway.
yes Leonara thank you I'm just seriously skint at the moment .... so I can't afford it ... What's Query tracker?

yes Leonara thank you I'm just seriously skint at the moment .... so I can't afford it ... What's Query tracker?
It's an agency listing both UK and US. Again, if you pay a subscription you get full access, but even without, it will give lots of info. I think it's pretty up to date. Search querytracker.net. There are links to the agencies' webpages so you can get a more in depth look. Like everything else, it's a time sink, but that's just how it is.

To add to @Leonora’s info, the subscription is only $25/year. And all it gets you is “premium” features, like the ability to track multiple projects and analytical info for each agent. The site is VERY useable without the subscription. But if you’re actively querying, it’s totally worth it.

To add to @Leonora’s info, the subscription is only $25/year. And all it gets you is “premium” features, like the ability to track multiple projects and analytical info for each agent. The site is VERY useable without the subscription. But if you’re actively querying, it’s totally worth it.
alright I thought it was a lot more ... oh you are talking about Query tracker ... I'm not all here today for a minute i thought you were talking about Litopia

I will be using query tracker once I get my query sorted out. It seems a comprehensive list of all agents. I will need to do some cross correlation to make sure I don't query two or more agents from the same agency.

I wonder if agents within an agency talk to each or pass on work that they feel a colleague would like to read?

My understanding is that they often do if they feel the work would be better represented by another agent in their office. Though, that shouldn't stop you querying another agent at the same agency if the first rejects it :)

My understanding is that they often do if they feel the work would be better represented by another agent in their office. Though, that shouldn't stop you querying another agent at the same agency if the first rejects it :)

Thanks for the advice. On the downside if I get to the point of querying a second agent it means I will have had a ton of rejections first. :(

Obviously as a lowly non-payer I had no idea I was missing out on so much.

This conversation is happening a lot right now, and Peter has been at pains to respond. No non-paying user is 'lowly' or considered as any such thing, @yanapuma. Every member is valuable and valued. I was a free user when I first joined, the 'old' Litopia 7 or 8 years ago. Peter has explained he is not running Litopia for profit, he is asking for subs to minimise his loss, running Litopia out of his own pocket at great personal expense. If members can contribute, even just a little, Litopia may survive and grow. The more members who can pay even the minimum sub, the better the colony can support those who wish to remain non-paying members.

Litopia closed once before, for quite a long time, and those of us who have followed its fortunes have witnessed much innovation, while there are masses of resources, and free media archives, including Litopia After Dark, etc, it can be guaranteed many new members have not yet discovered. :)

Last edited:
I second what @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine said above. I was one of the members on the "old" Litopia. I joined in 2010, before I was published. Everything was free back then, and to be honest I had no idea Peter was paying for stuff out of his own pocket until the "new" Litopia was re-formed.

Litopia was gone for a while, and that made me very sad because without this place, I would not be published. I totally believe that. I met my first Evernight editor on the old Litopia. It was with her encouragement and support I finally had the nerve to revise a story I'd posted as part of a contest, and then submit that story to Evernight. I also met my current Evernight author here. She and her husband were both members on Litopia.

Aside from the connections, this place is chocked full of resources and opportunities to improve craft and receive feedback. I'm in a position to be able to support it at a Pro Access level, but even if I wasn't, I'd explore all the resources here available to me.

And like Katie said, no member is lowly here or valued any less than another. This site works because of its members. Because of the camaraderie, the support, and the encouragement we give each other.

We should all support and encourage other writers, both on this site and on other places. There's a lot of negativity out there and without a site like this, writers can find it difficult not to become discouraged and jaded. This is one of the reasons the Guardians work so hard to keep the posts focused on support and encouragement. Focused on what we can do. Focused on learning our craft, and learning about the industry.

I've been online for over twenty-five years, and I've never found a site like Litopia. I've never met an agent who works this hard to help writers. Who cares this much about their development, and about providing them with resources to not only help them get published, but improve their craft as well. This place is special. And I totally support @AgentPete asking for help to pay for it.

It's not social media, which right now is free. It's a wealth of resources and opportunities that quite frankly, you'd pay a boatload of money for elsewhere. And that's if you could find anything this useful and comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poll Pop-Up Submissions 5th August

Poll Pop-Ups - Word of the Day or Book Recommendations?

Back