PitMad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Got a major, two-person anniversary coming up. This may be the first time we’ve been away with each other for... oh, since we had kids o_O.

Looking for a nice, romantic destination for no more than a week, beginning of June. Probably UK... would consider a Eurostar destination... less keen on flying somewhere. Don’t want to drive for just a week.

Any experiences / advice gratefully received...

If you want the UK, this is our favourite get-away: http://www.nationaltrustholidays.org.uk/holiday-cottage/the-mill-cottage-012022/ - the cottage is right on a small beach. It is semi-detached to a cafe - which does mean there is activity next door during the day (not open in the evening) but on the plus side, it's pleasant for a coffee and all of 30 seconds walk. The picture is one of the views from the cottage windows. Oh - and pretty well no phone reception unless you climb up on the cliff too. Lovely walks along the cliffs.

wembury.JPG

How appropriate, I was born in NEW Plymouth (NZ) ;)

You could try Geneva. Possible to get cheap flights. Selection of nice hotels; or if you want a lower cost option, with a kitchen so that you can cook for yourselves, try Residence Starling on Route des Acacias. Lots of Geneva is horrible, including the region of Acacias, but the bits of it which are nice make up for it - the lake, the museums, the Vieille Ville, Carouge, etc; and you can use the city as a base to nip up into the mountains, across the border to Annecy, take the cable car up the Saleve, etc. If it sounds attractive, let me know and I will get you more info.

Last edited:
Ah, Annecy used to be an old stomping ground, back when I used to... stomp a lot :) Savoie would be a trip down memory lane for me, maybe not best for a couple. But good instincts, thanks :)

Thanks, James - always wanted to visit... and spent enough time in North Wales to know that umbrellas are de rigueur at all times of the year...

I know you don't want to fly, but consider Cuba! If you want romance, rich history, and wonderful people/culture, there is no other place that compares. I think you already know how much I love the place, lol. We were there Dec.17 when the US made the groundbreaking embargo-loosening announcement. Tremendous reaction from folks there, so glad we were there to see it.

The country will change (good and bad), so now is the time to see an island displaced fifty years out of history. I recommend Varadero for the majority of a stay, but insist travelers take a couple of days to see Havana. We've made life-long friends there, and stay at a casa in the old part of the city. $40 a night and the owner gives me a $500 box of Cuban cigars for being a repeat customer! Warning: if they find out you're a writer, they will automatically lump you in the same class as Hemingway, and love you even more. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

Seriously though, if you decide to try Cuba, get a hold of me first. I can set you up with dozens of great places to go and see. We could even give you the grand tour in person if you go the first two weeks in May!

Slight thread highjack: Sorry I've been missing from the site for months. Terribly busy! No excuse, but there it is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Simopoulos, RIP

PitMad

Back