Advice To Writers.com

WTF?

Fanfare! Wonderful feedback sent personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bad Ideas Always Fall Out - Stephen King, is a direct contradiction to WIll Self's always carry a notebook, from my own experience, notebooks are a distraction, note taking is one thing, but real life experiences don't need to be recorded in note books, unless you are Dori from Finding Nemo, which leads to another set of problems.

The Bad Ideas Always Fall Out - Stephen King, is a direct contradiction to WIll Self's always carry a notebook, from my own experience, notebooks are a distraction, note taking is one thing, but real life experiences don't need to be recorded in note books, unless you are Dori from Finding Nemo, which leads to another set of problems.
I was just talking to my husband about this last night. Stephen King is the only person I've heard say not to carry a notebook around. That the good ideas will stick with you. But I don't have an influx of ideas like I'm sure he does. I only get a handful of solid book ideas a year, so I have to write them down. Now, tidbits (ideas that can't carry a book by themselves - like "use this computer program") I can more understand and I don't write all of those down, but I do have a space for those in a different notebook. I just recognize I won't be able to use them all.

Not everything will work for everyone, but the notebook concept does work for me. :)

I carried notebooks all through grade school and into college. They were stuffed with hand-written stories and ideas. I still have notes all over the place, both electronic and hand-written. It's how I think. When I write it down, it's in my muscle memory for life. Nothing is more frustrating to me than being in the shower or driving, and not being able to write down an idea or a scene because it seems my best ones come at both those times. LOL!! A reader even sent me a waterproof notepad and pen one time for Christmas! :D As for the driving, I adore the speak to text feature on my iPhone. ;)

Not everything will work for everyone, but the notebook concept does work for me. :)

I carried notebooks all through grade school and into college. They were stuffed with hand-written stories and ideas. I still have notes all over the place, both electronic and hand-written. It's how I think. When I write it down, it's in my muscle memory for life. Nothing is more frustrating to me than being in the shower or driving, and not being able to write down an idea or a scene because it seems my best ones come at both those times. LOL!! A reader even sent me a waterproof notepad and pen one time for Christmas! :D As for the driving, I adore the speak to text feature on my iPhone. ;)
They make waterproof notepads?
Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-1024x1280.jpg

I'm the same way. I have to write things down or cool ideas run away from me. And it's super frustrating when I decide to use a cool idea I had but I can't remember much about it because I didn't write it down.

When I was a freshman in college, one of my psych professors suggested I try writing down concepts when I studied. From that point on, that's how I studied. I took my notes from class and condensed them into the concept idea, writing them out, then I would study from those notes until I memorized what I'd written. When I sat down to take the test, I was able to literally "see" those notes in my head. For a long time I thought everyone did that. LOL!!

This is what she sent me:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Notes-Waterproof-Notepad-Mountable/dp/B003W09LTQ

Between you and me, it doesn't work that great, but well enough that I won't lose the idea by the time I can grab a towel and run to my writing room. :)

Yes, was a lovely holiday, especially the cage diving with the sharks, but when one of them broke through the cage and started to munch on Brads leg, well, I was glad for my "Aqua Note", I was really able to capture Brad's distress.

Thank you for the (as always) fantastic resource! :)

Thanks, and I'm glad you found it helpful. :) Like I said earlier, not everything will work for everyone because we're each unique, but I find it useful to share these kinds of links, if only so some of us can realize we're not alone in how we process ideas. And @Nicole Wilson now knows there are waterproof notepads, so my work here is done. LOL! :D

Yes, was a lovely holiday, especially the cage diving with the sharks, but when one of them broke through the cage and started to munch on Brads leg, well, I was glad for my "Aqua Note", I was really able to capture Brad's distress.

Probably should have used a camera in that instance to capture it. Watching a shark tear off someone's leg has more of a visual appeal. You can always go back and try to capture it in words later. You know. After you clean the blood off the camera.

When 'Jaws' came out, my father took us to see it, and afterwards declared it 'disgusting'. It was the leg in the lab tank wot did it, oh, and the floating head, of course.

Very, very good novel. I still think so.

When 'Jaws' came out, my father took us to see it, and afterwards declared it 'disgusting'. It was the leg in the lab tank wot did it, oh, and the floating head, of course.

Very, very good novel. I still think so.

I enjoyed the book much more than the movie, but then I usually do enjoy the books more. :) There are some great lines in that movie, though. :D

You know, this could be the voice-over of an ad for the product! LOL!!

Don't agree with David Sedaris. Being a story-teller is what it's all about surely!? If someone called me that, I'd be happy ;)

Oh, and keep a notebook and pen next to the bed!! I can't count the times I've had the perfect idea as I'm drifting off to sleep, convinced it will still be there in the morning. Nope. GONE! :(
YES. I have a pad of postit notes and a whole slew of pens next to my bed. Being married to a writer is great, because all I have to say is "idea" when I turn on the light and he just rolls back over in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Fanfare! Wonderful feedback sent personally

Back