• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat A take on what 2017 holds for the publishing industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thematic collaboration makes sense especially in genre areas where readers consume, say, a book a month.

No. 7 for sure, which makes the whole thing re: Amazon Imprints more of a consideration if you don't have deep pockets. Finding readers remains the single best thing you can do, but not all of us can or should write in the "popular" genres or memes. I agree with Peter that collaboration does make sense in a lot of genres. I'm fairly active on a couple of Historic Fiction groups/sites, but within that genre lie many sub-genres and layers of popularity, so it always means an uphill climb unless you can buy beaucoups ads on the right sites. I'm wondering if anyone has had sales results after local print media exposure?

Good article. Thanks for sharing. @Richard Sutton, as soon as the wildfire news slows down here, I'm going to make a big push to get local print media exposure (no point in sending anything this week--nothing in the news but fire). I'll let you know how things pan out. Not directly pushing my books through the press release, but introducing a school outreach programme--Bugs and Books--that will take advantage of my local popularity as The Bug Lady and get my books in front of teachers and kids. Starting my marketing small and local, because that's what I can get my head around, and it doesn't freak me out so much as the idea of shouting my own praises to the world at large.

Re: odd advertising opportunities, in the first couple years of running The Bugmobile, I emailed Radio New Zealand with my vote for their "best song ever written" spot. They chose me to interview for the radio spot that week and, in addition to asking me about the song I'd chosen, they asked what I did for a living. Quite a few teachers called to book programmes after that, saying they'd heard about me on the radio...lesson is get yourself out there and noticed in whatever way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back