A small publisher's struggles.

Sample Chapters

Link Time! How Many Novels Actually SELL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Reading Katie-Ellen Hazeldine's thread about novel sales reminded me of a recent article that popped up in a newsfeed from BookBrunch.

It concerns the struggles of a small, but highly respected, publisher on the Norfolk coast. Salt Publishing was established by Chris and Jen Hamilton-Emery, and though their authors have been nominated for and won several literary prizes, this has not translated into the sales needed to keep them afloat.

They kept going with an annual grant from the Arts Council, and by changing the type of books they published. Becoming savvy about promoting themselves through social media had dramatic benefits.

BookBrunch - Independent Publisher Focus: Salt on the Silver Age of the small press

It's not all champagne and caviar in publishing.

Look up Unsung Stories, Marc. They might be your bag, and they hate Dan Brown, and they do consider unagented of the right kind for their list, for now. Imprint of Red Squirrel Publishing.

Look up Unsung Stories, Marc. They might be your bag, and they hate Dan Brown, and they do consider unagented of the right kind for their list, for now. Imprint of Red Squirrel Publishing.
Duly noted, and thank you so much! They look very interesting indeed - Red Squirrel was on my list and yet somehow I had not come across this imprint!! Thanks !:)

Unsung look like a nice home for short stories. Not too sure about a novel. Depends on what their marketing and distribution is like. But they're certainly on my short story submission list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sample Chapters

Link Time! How Many Novels Actually SELL?

Back