Fanfare! A Gift of Steel, Book One -- Out of Alexandria, Complete... Or Not...

Fanfare! Rejection from The New Yorker!

M

The only explanation is that he has a lobster on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the draft of the first book in this new potential series is complete at 85K words, which includes the first chapter of the next book. I seem to have made a huge project for myself however, in that the timeline is going to cover 1,950 years in actual history, which means if spaced evenly, it would take five books to bring the reader from 48BCE to 1909, where the series is projected to end, plus HUGE reams of research. Each book would have to exist within a related interval of somewhere around 390 years is that too big a jump of generations to keep the reader's interest held, or should I make each book fatter and cover more range? Or should I just write a fatter one-off taking place within the lifetime of the current M.C.?

My protagonists are part of a small conspiracy of three (as far as they know when the deed is done...) librarian/scribes that steal a bunch of ancient knowledge from the Alexandria Library before the first fire. The knowledge of the ancient Pelasgians (Titans) is preserved and studied in order to decipher a glyphic code which, with the right artifact, is believed to transport the bearer through time and space. The conflict comes from the difficulty of the task over the centuries as the social mores and taboos change and the librarians work must continue underground and in secret. They come close, but never are able to complete the work. The task and a single, Scythian sword passes down bloodlines to the point in 1909 when the final puzzle piece is found in Crete (Actual historic fact). I'd tell you more, but they would have to kill me.

I know you get where I am coming from Richard, if I say my cards indicate 1-2 books as the best way to go with this. Ace Cups, Queen Cups, Two Swords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Rejection from The New Yorker!

M

The only explanation is that he has a lobster on his head.

Back