UK or US English settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK Wallis

rk.wallis@myyahoo.com
Feb 15, 2019
Australia
This bit really resonated with me, I feel this is exactly my experience:

You may find yourself adopting a style you find particularly exciting, and there’s nothing wrong with that. When I read Ray Bradbury as a kid, I wrote like Ray Bradbury–everything green and wondrous and seen through a lens smeared with the grease of nostalgia. When I read James M. Cain, everything I wrote came out clipped and stripped and hardboiled. When I read Lovecraft, my prose became luxurious and Byzantine. I wrote stories in my teenage years where all these styles merged, creating a kind of hilarious stew. This sort of stylistic blending is a necessary part of developing one’s own style, but it doesn’t occur in a vacuum. You have to read widely, constantly refining (and redefining) your own work as you do so. It’s hard for me to believe that people who read very little (or not at all in some cases) should presume to write and expect people to like what they have written, but I know it’s true. If I had a nickel for every person who ever told me he/ she wanted to become a writer but ‘didn’t have time to read,’ I could buy myself a pretty good steak dinner. Can I be blunt on this subject? If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.

There’s something I take away from every book I read. I think Michael Crichton’s The Lost World taught me the most this year. It was slow moving until they reached the island, stuff happened so it was interesting but once things started to go wrong on the island, man they didn’t just go wrong, they get worse and worse and worse. Just when you think it can’t get worse, it does. I had to stop reading at times because things looked so bad. So the lesson from it is just when you think you’ve written enough bad things, write more of them!

how about you? What book taught you what lesson?

Last edited:
I always find King's advice useful, although I'm not a horror fan so I haven't read much of his fiction.

The novel "The Rise and Fall of Great Powers" by Tom Rachman taught me a key difference between writing fiction and the business writing that I did for a living. For most of the book, the reader is unsure about the true relationship between the characters and how the multiple storylines are connected. One reviewer described the novel as a "jigsaw puzzle." In business writing, you never want to confuse your reader, but in fiction unanswered questions can keep the reader turning the pages. The trick is to make the characters engaging so that you want to find the answers - something Rachman does well in this book.

I don't know to what extent they have affected the way I write, but I imagine Norah Lofts and Daphne du Maurier have left their mark. Not so much 'Rebecca'. More 'Don't Look Now', and 'Mary Anne' by Du Maurier, and not many people these days know Norah Lofts, but I have read many of her novels, and she haunts me.

Dorothy Dunnett....King Hereafter...I cannot conceive how she wrote that book, an alternative story of Macbeth. It might as well have been written by a superhuman; a writer in the realm of the gods.

Stephen Donaldson taught me that you can write lavish, adjective-and-adverb-laden descriptions and still create a great story. Cormac McCarthy taught me you can write spare prose without any adornment and still rip the reader's heart out. Hilary Mantel showed me how to live so far inside a character's head I could feel him breathing inside me. Neil Gaiman (and Terry Pratchett) proved our imaginations are limitless.

There are so many... :)

I really admire writers who create a strong sense of place, as I feel this is something I'm not so good at. I really admire the horror writer Ramsey Campbell for this. I've never spent any time in Liverpool, but having read a few of his books I now have a powerful impression of the place (at least as he presents it).

And having just finished a draft of a comedy novel I have a developed appreciation of just how hard comic writing is. Reflecting on the techniques in Stella Gibbons' "Cold Comfort Farm" has been a big help.

I don't know to what extent they have affected the way I write, but I imagine Norah Lofts and Daphne du Maurier have left their mark. Not so much 'Rebecca'. More 'Don't Look Now', and 'Mary Anne' by Du Maurier, and not many people these days know Norah Lofts, but I have read many of her novels, and she haunts me.

Dorothy Dunnett....King Hereafter...I cannot conceive how she wrote that book, an alternative story of Macbeth. It might as well have been written by a superhuman; a writer in the realm of the gods.
I read Daphne du Maurier's The Scapegoat after seeing the British movie adaptation of the same name (starring Matthew Rhys and Eileen Atkins.) I enjoyed the book, but was disappointed with the ending. The movie, however, is an an absolute coup from start to finish, and is one of my favorites all time. Try to see it if you haven't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey, Litopian Tweeters!

UK or US English settings?

Back