21 Harsh But Eye-Opening Writing Tips

A Writer's Brain

How to Research a Literary Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite, particularly the bold portion. I've finally learned that if something about a piece of writing nags me or just doesn't quite click, it's not going to click for the readers, and if I'm really open and honest with myself, I can usually work out what's wrong (of course, a good beta reader can work out what's wrong in less than half the time, so I also cultivate those).

11. Imagine that you are dying. If you had a terminal disease would you finish this book? Why not? The thing that annoys this 10-weeks-to-live self is the thing that is wrong with the book. So change it. Stop arguing with yourself. Change it. See? Easy. And no one had to die. – Anne Enright

I like . There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. ― W. Somerset Maugham

18. Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there’ll always be better writers than you and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that — but you are the only you. ― Neil Gaiman

This for me is the most optimistic and hopeful statement about writing. The others are sobering, levelling, funny and honest. This one inspires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Writer's Brain

How to Research a Literary Agent

Back