You have to understand your limitations....

Reading a novel....

Ah, good taste....

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
You have to understand your limitations. It's your limitations that make you the most wonderful disaster you probably are.

Nick Cave

iu

We'd be identikit amorphous blobs otherwise. Like we used to be once upon a time before we chose cell diversification as the way to go, trading our immortality for limits, including loss of longevity, without which there can be no unique identity

We'd be identikit amorphous blobs otherwise. Like we used to be once upon a time before we chose cell diversification as the way to go, trading our immortality for limits, including loss of longevity, without which there can be no unique identity
Indeed, but a result of that is that all limitations and abilities are comparative. You could think of it as a limitation that you can only leap over tall buildings.

Limitations are always comparative, yes, yes, of course. except for Death which is both the ultimate limitation, and the ultimate liberation of limitation at the same time.

There are personal limitations and circumstantial limitations, which includes socio-economic factors. I lost the ability to walk when my children were still small. It was one stinking practical as well as intellectually shocking and frightening experience of severe encroaching limitation. I have damaged hands now. It's a limitation every minute of my waking day, I can type, but not peel an apple. I can still, but only barely plait my own hair, just about.

I had to stop work, doing what I was doing. But I felt driven to find new things I could do, and without that discomfort of limitation, I might never have felt sufficiently driven, and that was how I found my true metier. A limitation is a problem, it is a spur, and that's not only how, but often why humanity learns new things. Thinking of Keats for example, Or Robert Louis Stephenson, or Emily Dickinson, or James Baldwin. It just goes on and on.

Invention arises from problem solving, twas ever so, or if we had everything we needed, we'd be lotus eaters. Writers and artists, but anyone at all, it is that very sense of limitation that has been a pressure cooker.

Like that old song, freedom is another word for nothing left to lose. Space enough is room to breathe, but too much is a vacuum. Lack of limitation = goo.

Last edited:

Reading a novel....

Ah, good taste....

Back