You get what you pay for... sometimes

Has anyone seen crime_afoot recently?

Selling eBooks is getting harder. Much harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Clegg

Basic
Aug 7, 2014
Swindon, UK
I get sent quite a lot of press releases for books to review of all ilks, and occasionally the summary sounds like something that would interest me and I ask for a copy. I've just had what sounded like quite a promising fantasy book, but had to tell them that I wouldn't review it, because if I did, it would be to say 'Avoid at all costs.'

I knew the publisher that produced it was a vanity press, but I do sometimes review self-published books, so I said I'd look at it with appropriate expectations. In some ways they'd done a good job. It's a nicely produced hardback with a cover that almost, but not quite, looks the real deal. It's laid out properly and has clearly been copy edited - no obvious typos. So they've done something for the author's dosh.

Unfortunately, though, what they clearly haven't done is provided any editorial feedback on the writing itself. The author's use of English and structuring is so poor that it is just unreadable. I got through three short chapters, then gave up. I know there are lots of warnings out there, but I wish there was a way to tell would-be writers in large letters that it's not enough to get your book nicely printed if you don't have the basics of the craft. And that's something that vanity publishers will not help you with.

No. They want their money. It's a problem isn't it; they're not likely to tell the author their baby's ugly. They just put a nice bonnet on it. I've seen that happening a few times. Maybe the book had promise, too, unlike the one you mention, but needed proper, serious editorial input... and the author needed to listen.

Houses with no plagues upon them. Unless there is a general fiction House, I won't know where to move in.

I think they have their place, I Tweet with an author who previously was traditionally published but he opted to self publish and has found it suits him far better. I do however think they should have a set standard, if it were me applying I would much rather the publisher say, "I'm sorry your work isn't good enough" than publish me, sure it would be upsetting but it would mean I was not deluded and could redouble my efforts on creating what I initially intended. At least that way years later I wouldn't look back on it, realise how poor it was and realise I have ruined the name I could have used for a new piece of work that would be of the correct standard.

@K.J. Simmill I agree. And, let's face it, if there are obvious errors you'd rather hear about them from your publisher than a legion of angry critics when there's nothing you can do about it anymore! I would, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone seen crime_afoot recently?

Selling eBooks is getting harder. Much harder.

Back