Writers' and Artists' Yearbook

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Recommended UK Editors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Aug 24, 2014
Kent
Probably a few questions for my August fellow Litopians and Agent Pete. The W&A Yearbook.

1) Do the lists of Agents and Publishers include only reputable Agents and Publishers?
2) Is there a set standard for inclusion, or is being listed based on subscription?
3) What if an Agent or Publishers isn't listed, would that be cause for concern?
4) What happens if an Agent or Publisher is proved to be acting outside of the ethical or professional norms expected, are they barred from inclusion?

Not sure how helpful this is, but in my search for representation, I've come across a couple of big agents which aren't listed in the W&A yearbook. One of them made a point of saying they're not in it for reasons I have long since forgotten. I found those agents on an online list, or by googling; I can't remember that either. But those agencies had big name clients. (Unless those agents were dodgy, pretending to be big agents.) Anyway, I didn't bother with them as I didn't want to drown in a massive client list. I'm looking for an agent with whom I can build a close working relationship.

As for your question number 4: If someone is dodgy, they might simply re-list under a different name. (I once had an offer from an acting agent who was black listed with Equity under at least five different names.) And I recently read about two women who set up a literary agency in the US, but con their authors, taking their money before legging it only to start again under different names. I think the trail went cold when they moved over to Europe. If I remember right.

Urgh, and it's only Tuesday.

The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook is a scheme to sell the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, nothing more. Most people are not listed in it, I am fairly certain. Those that are tend to be a mixed bag. A lot are duplicates, listing themselves as both their boutique agency and the bigger corporation they are part of. A fair few are completely dead but for some reason get shoved in every year.

It is, quite frankly, a scam that the most basic of google searches can replace while having the benefit of being free, more up to date and more complete.

Thanks for the feedback. I was a little concerned that someone who wasn't listed in the Yearbook has shown interest in one my novels. Which generated the questions above.

Thanks for the feedback. I was a little concerned that someone who wasn't listed in the Yearbook has shown interest in one my novels. Which generated the questions above.
Its not automatically a warning sign, I would say, but a good flex of one's Google-Fu should see you straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Recommended UK Editors?

Back