Working on a novel

How 'Good' are your Stories?

Writer’s Digest’s Self-Published Book Awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Reid

Basic
Jan 18, 2019
Comox, BC, Canada
I have dabbled in writing as a hobby for several years. I recently took some writing courses at the University of British Columbia, prompting me to start work on a novel. I found the courses very helpful, particularly the feedback and evaluations from the workshops. One reason I never considered a career as a writer is that it is such a solitary profession, and I like working with people. I enjoyed interacting with fellow writers attending the courses and hope to find something similar on this website.

Hello :) Hope you'll look around the site, see what's what and join us for Pop-Up Submissions this Sunday at 6 GMT if you're able to join us live in the Discord chatroom.

Hello Rob, like you I've just started to write a new novel... and only into a few thousand words and already I've had to stop to change things around considerably... arrgh :mad:

Thanks to all who replied to my first post. I'm a newbie when it comes to Social Media. I don't use Facebook and have only used Linked In occasionally for job hunting. Any suggestions on how I should proceed next? Should I continue responding to this thread, or reply directly to some of the individual replies, or both?

Thanks to all who replied to my first post. I'm a newbie when it comes to Social Media. I don't use Facebook and have only used Linked In occasionally for job hunting. Any suggestions on how I should proceed next? Should I continue responding to this thread, or reply directly to some of the individual replies, or both?

Rob, after writing five novels in the last four years, I'm currently attempting to learn how best to promote myself and the books via social media and blogging, which is making me feel like an orangutan doing a crossword in Sanskrit! o_O

The Book Designer is a useful website offering all sorts of advice, including about marketing and social media:

Does Anyone Care About Your Book? - The Book Designer

This concise article contains tips on using social media:

Insider secrets for making the most of social media - PR Daily

Hi Rob

Have a look around the various threads and pitch in if you fancy it.
If you do a certain number of posts you get access to the writing groups.

Enjoy.

I presume this thread will eventually go dormant, but in the meantime I'll use it to share more info. I've recently retired giving me the chance to resume work on a novel that I started when taking a creative writing class. It's a humorous story about a writer on a cross Canada book tour.

I'd be interested to hear from others writing contemporary humour stories, and also from any fellow Canadians.

Rob

Hello and welcome! I'm attempting to write a contemporary humour novel as well - mine is set in an office in central London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How 'Good' are your Stories?

Writer’s Digest’s Self-Published Book Awards.

Back