Which Self pub. Editorial Services

Tor Books currently open for short, dark fiction

'For success, avoid short stories': discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Bennett

Hi guys

I'd be interested to know if any of you have used copy editors and/or proof readers before you self publish.

My budget will stretch to one, but not both forms of editing. I gather proof reading is the final stage. Has anyone self published after a copy edit?

Any advice would be cool. Thank you.

Hi Tim - I have just self published a collection of short stories, some of which have already been published in print and online. In my experience, I found the copy editing to be most valuable as I'm a natural proofreader. Yes, the proofreading should be done last, and is best done by someone who hasn't read the work before - in my experience, this is when the errors are most obvious. Depending on how long your work is, PM me with the details as I may be able to proofread it for you for a reasonable fee. If you have to proofread yourself, change the font, print it out and read each chapter out of sequence - these changes help to trick you into reading the words on the page rather than skimming because you know the piece so well.

Thanks Island Writer, that's really good advice, and I like the idea of changing the font etc. I'm on the home stretch re writing after paying for a developmental in depth edit which was so helpful. It'll (fiction) probably be close to 60000 when I finish.

Whilst we're on a related subject, sort of... my ms is split into three parts, each could stand as a book in their own right. From a self pub point of view, would it be more beneficial to publish them separately or as one big book? Certainly, one volume would keep my production costs down, but a trilogy might appeal to readers better, and create more of a fan base. I'm thinking if they like the book one, they may return for two and three. What sayeth you all?

Whilst we're on a related subject, sort of... my ms is split into three parts, each could stand as a book in their own right. From a self pub point of view, would it be more beneficial to publish them separately or as one big book? Certainly, one volume would keep my production costs down, but a trilogy might appeal to readers better, and create more of a fan base. I'm thinking if they like the book one, they may return for two and three. What sayeth you all?
Difficult to say without knowing the particular story specifics. Every surgery is different, right? Same thing with 3D modelling, and writing — a plan of attack that works in one case won't in another.

Depends on the size of the 3 overall once you are done and dusted. It may be cheaper for your readers to but 3 smaller books. I know I would rather pay £18 for a trilogy spaced out as 3 × £6 rather than £12 in a single payment ;)

How much is £12... like $18? Shwa! $18.59. Do you have a £ key on your keyboard or do you constantly have to type in ALT0163? And furthermore, do you still use £ over €?

The UK (not Ireland) use £ and thanks for the 'ALT' reminder. I actually have an extra character desktop shortcut for all those odd characters as this pc doesn't have that symbol, but oddly has the Euro one (and it's an American pc!) ;)

Hi Tim - I have just self published a collection of short stories, some of which have already been published in print and online. In my experience, I found the copy editing to be most valuable as I'm a natural proofreader. Yes, the proofreading should be done last, and is best done by someone who hasn't read the work before - in my experience, this is when the errors are most obvious. Depending on how long your work is, PM me with the details as I may be able to proofread it for you for a reasonable fee. If you have to proofread yourself, change the font, print it out and read each chapter out of sequence - these changes help to trick you into reading the words on the page rather than skimming because you know the piece so well.
That sounds like good advice to me as well. Think I'll try it my next edit and see what I find!

That is a tough one, Jen. Personally, I like to have a trilogy all together, but then I collect books and authors I like. Like Jason said, surgery is personal. There is no "one size fits all" solution. If you already have customers waiting, ask them. You could also try a discount if they buy all three at once.

Some good help there, thanks guys.
My ms as a whole is around the 70k word count as it stands, part 1 is the main story, on a quest to save the world, part 2 is set ten years later, with someone out to upset the now peaceful scene, part 3 is a spin off from 2, following a lesser character off on her own little adventure.
The only customers I'd potentially have are the few people here who've been helping me with editing and three definite others, possibly more who'd buy it because they know me. A very select clientele atm of around 15 people max lol. Had been toying with the thought of putting 2 & 3 together as they follow the same timeline, to make it a duo not a trilogy.

Some good help there, thanks guys.
My ms as a whole is around the 70k word count as it stands, part 1 is the main story, on a quest to save the world, part 2 is set ten years later, with someone out to upset the now peaceful scene, part 3 is a spin off from 2, following a lesser character off on her own little adventure.
The only customers I'd potentially have are the few people here who've been helping me with editing and three definite others, possibly more who'd buy it because they know me. A very select clientele atm of around 15 people max lol. Had been toying with the thought of putting 2 & 3 together as they follow the same timeline, to make it a duo not a trilogy.
If the whole ms is only 70k, I'd leave it all together. And 15 opinions are better than one.

If the whole ms is only 70k, I'd leave it all together. And 15 opinions are better than one.

True, assuming everyone i know buys a copy, here's hoping. I've given myself the goal of self publishing this work by next year at the latest, giving me ample editing and revision time. Plus two publishers said they'd give it a second glance after some editing, so I'll try submitting to them again. When it passes my beta readers, that is.

True, assuming everyone i know buys a copy, here's hoping. I've given myself the goal of self publishing this work by next year at the latest, giving me ample editing and revision time. Plus two publishers said they'd give it a second glance after some editing, so I'll try submitting to them again. When it passes my beta readers, that is.
I understand that! I didn't know there was such a thing as a "beta-reader" until recently..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tor Books currently open for short, dark fiction

'For success, avoid short stories': discuss

Back