L

Happy Birthday, David Newrick.

Stories with a Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinne Weiss

May 19, 2015
New Zealand
I saw this article about Trump as a novel in the NY Times today and thought it was worth sharing. I particularly like the line about the Trump administration, "It's like a soap opera without the sex and fun."

I agree, it's been hard to know how to capture the current insanity in fiction in any way that doesn't seem like a recitation of facts. The craziest things the creative mind can conjecture keep coming true...

Quite by chance, I stumbled across some cartoons featuring The Orange One that noted anti-establishment artist Robert Crumb made way back in 1989:

R. Crumb v. D. Trump, 1989 [NSFW]

More recently, boingboing.net interviewed Crumb about the new President:

Crumb:
"Yeah, but I would watch him and find him so offensive, so obnoxious and hateful. How could anybody just looking at him and watching his behavior think for one second that he’s anything but a sociopath!? I just couldn’t imagine how anyone could think he’s a viable candidate for the presidency."

hup3.jpg

Did you see the documentary, Crumb? Twas good.

Yes, I did. In some ways, Crumb reminds me of Woody Allen, for both have an unusual take on society and both are skilled jazz musicians. Robert Crumb's wife Aline Kominsky-Crumb is a brilliant cartoonist, and their daughter Sophie continues the family tradition.

Crumb has released several CDs anthologising old performances of blues and jazz musicians gleaned from 78-rpm phonograph records. I have the soundtrack to the movie Crumb saved to the hard drive of my laptop, which I listen to while working:

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Happy Birthday, David Newrick.

Stories with a Message

Back