What's everyone working on?

Self Publishing: Keep Your Eyes Open

Not A Bestseller List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm co-writing a visual novel and I'm plotting another fantasy. This time I'm writing the fantasy for MG, though, I think... maybe, might just be for my love of spiders. What? They're cool!

Got to admit, I hate plotting. The first book I wrote I plotted properly after it had already been written. :confused: Of course, that was a major headache, so I'm trying to make it easier on myself this time.

I've just submitted my first book (45000 words) to agents. It's the first in a trilogy, a short one to start with, supernatural fiction based on my experience of recovery from addiction. The other two books will be more epic in nature and size. I've started researching the sequel, which involves visiting 9 extinct volcanoes of the British Isles, using ancient shamanic practices to connect with the spirit of the land, and bringing the experience to my writing. I'm living what I write. Joseph Campbell personal myth / heroes journey theme. I'm on a quest (just back from the Scottish Highlands) bringing together a tribe of spiritual warriors. This is all about personal transformation for me. It's time to leave the world of a Social Worker behind, I think all that report writing just might count for something now.

I just completed one last proofread of a thriller with light sci-fi elements. The full has been with an agent for three months, but I haven't heard back. I'm not feeling optimistic about an offer, so I'm getting antsy to self-publish it.

Meanwhile, I've been working on my Nanowrimer project--an epic fantasy near and dear to my heart. Also, I've been busy critiquing a fellow author's WIP. He critiques my stuff in return, so it's a symbiotic relationship. I could use another critique buddy like that...hint, hint.

I'm wondering / hoping, you have sent your work to more than one agent? Even Stephen King had 27 rejections, and tossed away his first novel, which I believe his wife saved. Considering you may well get 100 rejections before it gets picked up, it would take a lifetime to find an agent. Meanwhile there are all the other novels to be written. I've probably hit the 100 mark, over three novels so far, although I've had three or four positive replies and one offer to publish. I declined that based on no payment for over 18 months!

So in my opinion anyone should send out several synopsis (s) at a time to be realistic, and don't be too honest. When they ask you to tell them if you have sent it to anyone else, DON'T. They will then not read yours and you've wasted time and lost an opportunity.

As for me, I've just moved to the UK, and started my seventh novel in a series set in 16th century Britain, and like several here, this is fantasy, centred in Wales, with a touch of Arthurian legion aka Merlin, dragons and Celtic stories. At the moment I am pushing my novel 'Merlin and Ceridwen'. A lot of time goes into proof reading and editing, but it would be great to find people who could give it series criticism. ;)

I'm wondering / hoping, you have sent your work to more than one agent? Even Stephen King had 27 rejections, and tossed away his first novel, which I believe his wife saved. Considering you may well get 100 rejections before it gets picked up, it would take a lifetime to find an agent. Meanwhile there are all the other novels to be written. I've probably hit the 100 mark, over three novels so far, although I've had three or four positive replies and one offer to publish. I declined that based on no payment for over 18 months!

So in my opinion anyone should send out several synopsis (s) at a time to be realistic, and don't be too honest. When they ask you to tell them if you have sent it to anyone else, DON'T. They will then not read yours and you've wasted time and lost an opportunity.

As for me, I've just moved to the UK, and started my seventh novel in a series set in 16th century Britain, and like several here, this is fantasy, centred in Wales, with a touch of Arthurian legion aka Merlin, dragons and Celtic stories. At the moment I am pushing my novel 'Merlin and Ceridwen'. A lot of time goes into proof reading and editing, but it would be great to find people who could give it series criticism. ;)

I like the Arthurian/Merlin connection. I recently visited Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, a lovely place to soak up some legend.

That's probably Merlin Sylvestris, which is pre Geoffrey of Monmouth introducing King Arthur (also from earlier stories) and adding the knights of the round table. It was a French author who later (also 12th century) added Camelot to the story line, so it's a long history, going back to at least the 6th century and possibly even earlier. But I like the cantankerous Merlin, even if underneath he has a few well hidden soft spots, including for my character Ceridwen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Self Publishing: Keep Your Eyes Open

Not A Bestseller List

Back