Whatcha Reading?

The Naked Truth

What's your favourite Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
We have another thread, but it got so long, maybe start again?

I have just made myself finish Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and found it mildly interesting by the end. They end up staying together...film is out, is that a spoiler? But I never mind spoilers. What I read for is the whys and hows, not the whats. And nowt so strange as folk, is the story here. And nowt so strange as the bargains people can arrive at.

Non fiction reading in progress, a personal quest/travelogue:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/08/60-degrees-north-around-the-world-in-search-of-a-home-malachy-tallack-review

Shetland is 60 degrees N. Likewise St Petersburg. My home city, Durham, is on latitude 54.7. I never knew that before the prompting of this book. London is 51.5 degrees N.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sixty-Degrees-North-Around-Search/dp/1846973368

Last edited:
Thanks for the spoiler about Gone Girl. I wanted to read the book, but I've been told it's pretty graphic so I decided against it. Now I don't have to. :)

I'm reading an ebook that was promoted during one of Amazon's first reads program months (I think that's what it's called), so I got it for free: Dream of Death by Harrison Drake. It's (so far) about a cop trying to string of murders committed by a serial killer. Surprisingly good so far.

And I'm just about to start Crimson Shore by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. They are one of my favorite authors (as a team) and I follow the Pendergast series (the name of the main character) very closely. Very much looking forward to this book.

I'd have liked him to do her in. I may have skipped the odd page but didn't come across anything too graphic..but there is a bloody murder.

I like the title, Crimson Shore. I read a whodunnit by Nicci French once, a duo combo, and it was good, as in smooth and capable, but bland. It felt written by committee. No heart in it by the end. Title escapes me for the moment.

Oh, well that's good to know - I may go read it anyway then, like you said, for the twists and turns. :)

I've really enjoyed P&C's series. To me, it doesn't feel forced or obvious that two people are writing it. Crimson Shore is the 15th book in the series, and they're pretty popular, so they must be doing something right.

Typically, I read science fiction and fantasy (though I've had a hard time finishing fantasy lately), but I'm open to expanding my horizons. Tbh, since I grew up reading science fiction/fantasy, I never really got (or even gave myself) an opportunity to really branch out into other areas of fiction. I don't know if that's sad or not. *shrugs*

The Flying Inn, by GK Chesterton. One of his less well known works, but just as dazzling as pretty much anything else he wrote (OK, possibly I'm biased). It concerns an imagined future where prohibition reigns in England and two men flaunt the law driving around the place with a huge cheese and a barrel of rum and drawing a varied clientele.

Typically, I read science fiction and fantasy (though I've had a hard time finishing fantasy lately), but I'm open to expanding my horizons. Tbh, since I grew up reading science fiction/fantasy, I never really got (or even gave myself) an opportunity to really branch out into other areas of fiction. I don't know if that's sad or not. *shrugs*
Eh, to each their own :) If you're looking for fantasy, I highly recommend Brandon Sanderson, particularly the Steelheart series. It is YA, but it's hysterical. I love it and I don't read much YA or fantasy (though that seems to be changing).

If you want to expand your horizons, the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child is my all-time favorite, or the Sigma series by James Rollins. Reacher, you can start with any book. Sigma, they're pretty rearrangeable, too, but I think Sandstorm is best to start with. Both are thrillers.

@Nicole Wilson The Jack Reacher movie was fantastic and if that's any indication of how the book will be, I'll definitely give it a try!

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

(I'm really waiting for James L. Cambias to come out with another novel. His first, A Darkling Sea, was a fantastic science fiction story about humans discovering lobster like aliens under the deep ice covered oceans of a distant planet just like Europa. The novel is basically about first contact, but covers the politics of the situation with regards to another race of aliens that hate how much humans interfere in everything. Definitely worthwhile if you love sci fi.)

@Nicole Wilson The Jack Reacher movie was fantastic and if that's any indication of how the book will be, I'll definitely give it a try!

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

(I'm really waiting for James L. Cambias to come out with another novel. His first, A Darkling Sea, was a fantastic science fiction story about humans discovering lobster like aliens under the deep ice covered oceans of a distant planet just like Europa. The novel is basically about first contact, but covers the politics of the situation with regards to another race of aliens that hate how much humans interfere in everything. Definitely worthwhile if you love sci fi.)
That sounds interesting! It's going on my list of books to read :)

The last book I read was 'Fool's Assassin' by Robin Hobb, a wonderful fantasy adventure. I know the sequel's out but I've already written my Christmas list, it'll have to wait until the new year. I've started reading 'The Trinity Project' by Karen Jones, the friend I discussed in another thread (A Delicate Matter).

The Flying Inn, by GK Chesterton. One of his less well known works, but just as dazzling as pretty much anything else he wrote (OK, possibly I'm biased). It concerns an imagined future where prohibition reigns in England and two men flaunt the law driving around the place with a huge cheese and a barrel of rum and drawing a varied clientele.

Hahaha...well, I'd pass on the rum but might commit the cheese partaking crime, if it was Cheddar or Lancashire Crumbly.

Oh, nooooo. I am doomed to future dystopian jail.

@Chase Gamwell I wonder whether you might like Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

Fantasy/Crime...a Peter Grant mystery (being made into a film did @AgentPete say) A mythic battle between Mother and Father Thames (saltwater line) plays out on London's streets of today, with ghosts, a Met Police that takes those entirely in its stride, and naturally, murrrrderrrrr.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rivers-London-1-Ben-Aaronovitch/dp/0575097582

Oh, nooooo. I am doomed to future dystopian jail.

@Chase Gamwell I wonder whether you might like Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

Fantasy/Crime...a Peter Grant mystery (being made into a film did @AgentPete say) A mythic battle between Mother and Father Thames (saltwater line) plays out on London's streets of today, with ghosts, a Met Police that takes those entirely in its stride, and naturally, murrrrderrrrr.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rivers-London-1-Ben-Aaronovitch/dp/0575097582

I will very much give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

We have another thread, but it got so long, maybe start again?

I have just made myself finish Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and found it mildly interesting by the end. They end up staying together...film is out, is that a spoiler? But I never mind spoilers. What I read for is the whys and hows, not the whats. And nowt so strange as folk, is the story here. And nowt so strange as the bargains people can arrive at.

I do too! That's why i watch a movie twice. It's in the second viewing that i enjoy it most. It's like a first draft...get the blasted thing through then back and look for the places of magical importance.

I've read nothing worthwhile for a long time...(except the first three chapters of a friend's novel, which was FANTASTIC! and I'm trying to figure out how I can help him write faster...) Really would love to read some good adult fantasy--I don't need a lot of sex, violence and swearing, but I'd love to read something that's not YA for a change.

That said, I recently read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry--a delightful read, gentle and profound, and clearly written with my demographic in mind (that is, the midlife crisis demographic).

I've read nothing worthwhile for a long time...(except the first three chapters of a friend's novel, which was FANTASTIC! and I'm trying to figure out how I can help him write faster...) Really would love to read some good adult fantasy--I don't need a lot of sex, violence and swearing, but I'd love to read something that's not YA for a change.

That said, I recently read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry--a delightful read, gentle and profound, and clearly written with my demographic in mind (that is, the midlife crisis demographic).
I've only read a handful of his books, but Brandon Sanderson is good about minimal sex, swearing, etc. It's very hard fantasy (or so my husband tells me), very clear set of rules for the magic. Mistborn is what hubby is reading now. I think that's YA, so Way of Kings is the other one he's reading.

I'm currently in the first chapter of 'Adultery' by Paulo Coelho and it's intriguing so far. Per the blurb, the book "explores the question of what it means to live life fully and happily, finding the balance between life's routine and desire for something new."
Ironically, I have been reading the first chapter for about a month because life keeps getting in the way.
For what it's worth, I strongly recommend Coehlo. I love his writing style and he's super wise. My favorites are 'The Zahir" and 'Veronica Decides To Die.' :)

I've only read a handful of his books, but Brandon Sanderson is good about minimal sex, swearing, etc. It's very hard fantasy (or so my husband tells me), very clear set of rules for the magic. Mistborn is what hubby is reading now. I think that's YA, so Way of Kings is the other one he's reading.

Definitely going to look into your recommendations. I've only ever followed Sanderson lectures which I learned a lot from btw: here's a link http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/

Yeah, Sanderson has some adult novels out there, doesn't he? I just think of him as a YA author (because that's what my kids bring home). My kids are split on Mistborn--one loved the series, the other hated it. Embarrassed to say I haven't read them, though they're sitting on my son's bookshelf...

And to clarify, I'm not against sex, violence and swearing--I appreciate all of those. It's just that I'm not seeking out those things when I'm looking for an adult novel. Just looking for good fantasy with adult themes (not "adult" themes, if you know what I mean--Google has trouble with that distinction).

I'm currently in the first chapter of 'Adultery' by Paulo Coelho and it's intriguing so far. Per the blurb, the book "explores the question of what it means to live life fully and happily, finding the balance between life's routine and desire for something new."
Ironically, I have been reading the first chapter for about a month because life keeps getting in the way.
For what it's worth, I strongly recommend Coehlo. I love his writing style and he's super wise. My favorites are 'The Zahir" and 'Veronica Decides To Die.' :)
Have you read The Alchemist? I read that about a year ago and liked it.

Definitely going to look into your recommendations. I've only ever followed Sanderson lectures which I learned a lot from btw: here's a link http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/
Yeah! He also does Writing Excuses along with a few other authors to discuss different techniques and such about writing in mini podcasts. My husband loves it.

Yeah, Sanderson has some adult novels out there, doesn't he? I just think of him as a YA author (because that's what my kids bring home). My kids are split on Mistborn--one loved the series, the other hated it. Embarrassed to say I haven't read them, though they're sitting on my son's bookshelf...
He does have adult (not "adult" lol) books out - I think he's about fifty-fifty YA vs adult.

I'm fond of Brandon Mull--he sees the world differently. There's always something in his books that causes my universe to shift ever so slightly...
I think my husband literally just came home with a Brandon Mull book! :D

I'm reading Adam Marek's collections of short stories, "The Stone Thrower". I've recently finished "Muscle Cars", a collection by Stephen Eoannou. I'd highly recommend them both.

Oh you're asking 'watcha reading' lol! I thought the 'cha' was a special astrology term. Like the nine star ki ..I immediately got confused with all the other responses. Confusion never stopped me before though. But NOW I get it! :oops:

I'm reading 'How to Write' and 'Periodic Tales'. Non - fiction. :)

I've been reading my own first novel The Perfect Murderer. Not so much reading it, as dissecting it. This is not fun, and has made me consider the relationship we have with the structure and content of our writing. I'll start another thread about this: You and Your Manuscript.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Naked Truth

What's your favourite Pokemon?

Back