What is everone reading now?

Secret Book Case Rooms

Inside a Literary Agent's Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit behind the world on this one but I'm reading Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl and loving it. Don't tell me what happens anyone!:(

Last 3 books:
The Wolf in Winter by John Connolly
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
and currently reading The Wasteland by Stephen King. All highly recommended. The last 2 illustrated versions I got in a book sale in Avebury for a pound each. Winner.

I read Crow Lake last night, a debut novel of 2002. It's set in Ontario 'badlands' - farms begun with Crown property bought free. Written by a Canadian writer now living in the UK, Mary Lawson aged 55 when this first novel was published.

I am still re-reading books which I last read about 20 years ago - just finished the Gormenghast trilogy [Peake], and Sherlock Holmes' Study in Scarlet / Sign of the Four [Conan Doyle]; probably will read Darkness Visible [William Golding] next. The only time I get to read is a few minutes before finding that I am actually too tired to read anything, so it's slow progress.

I recently read 'The Double Tongue' which William Golding was still writing when he died, a novel about the oracle of Delphi. Short, and it is thought, possibly second draft. Piquant Review

Oh, you silly. Your 'Review' link took me to the Crow Lake review, not a Double Tongue review. Tut tut.
But both books sound interesting.

The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin. Gripping stuff. Though a friend heard the title and said it sounded like a bit of 'a romp'. Yes, a romp. WITH NAZIS.

Train's coming up the track behind you. Best lay track faster.

George R.R.M welcomes you to his club.

Train's coming up the track behind you. Best lay track faster.

George R.R.M welcomes you to his club.
Lol! He endorse that did he?

Faster?

I wrote 3 novels in a year! Roughly 400,000 words or there abouts and I've to... write faster? I'm a publisher's wet dream of productivity :p

Shame none took me up on the first book... their loss ;) though I'm always open to agent and publisher queries, but it may take me roughly 12 weeks to reply... if I reply at all, and chances are I will use a stock letter.

We all know this business is subjective and my opinion may not be some other author's opinion. So I will wish them all the best in their endeavors and let them jog on ;)

Unless they offer me one whopping good deal that is ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame none took me up on the first book... their loss ;) though I'm always open to agent and publisher queries, but it may take me roughly 12 weeks to reply... if I reply at all, and chances are I will use a stock letter.

We all know this business is subjective and my opinion may not be some other author's opinion. So I will wish them all the best in their endeavors and let them jog on ;)
Hahaha, "I regret to have to say that I will not be able to accept your rejection at this time."

I have just recently discovered Carlos Ruiz Zafón and I love his voice! So, I´m reading Shadow of the Wind--in English and Spanish. Since I am a professional translator, and was able to get my hands on both versions, I thought I´d play a little game with myself to see if I could spot differences. I have to say, there is nothing like a great translation to really make books come alive. And this is a great one!! Can´t wait to read the rest of his stuff.

I have just recently discovered Carlos Ruiz Zafón and I love his voice! So, I´m reading Shadow of the Wind--in English and Spanish. Since I am a professional translator, and was able to get my hands on both versions, I thought I´d play a little game with myself to see if I could spot differences. I have to say, there is nothing like a great translation to really make books come alive. And this is a great one!! Can´t wait to read the rest of his stuff.
I bought Watcher in the Shadows for my son, because on the face of it, it had all the ingredients for a wonderful, magical story. Mysterious toymaker, French beach, dark woods, etc etc - how could you go wrong? But I was so, so disappointed. The story and execution were very shallow and one-dimensional, often very clumsy. It has put me off reading his books for adults, but maybe that's unfair.

Yeah, I tried reading his first YA novel and I was a bit disappointed with it too. But So far his adult stuff seems good. I´m only a few chapters in but I love his use of words, his descriptions and the way he brings places to life.

Such a superb book! I haven't read any of his others by Shadow of the Wind was absolutely brilliant! One of those books that stays with you long after turning the final page!

As for my recent reading - I too have been reading books by other Litopians. I recently finished The Boy who Buried Dead Things by @Colin Mulhern and On Parson's Creek by @Richard Sutton both of which I strongly recommend. Next on my list is @Island Writer's short story collection.

Which brings me on to a suggestion. Sine there are a good number of published authors on this site wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere here where everyone could showcase their books? A sort of members bookshelf.

Such a superb book! I haven't read any of his others by Shadow of the Wind was absolutely brilliant! One of those books that stays with you long after turning the final page!

As for my recent reading - I too have been reading books by other Litopians. I recently finished The Boy who Buried Dead Things by @Colin Mulhern and On Parson's Creek by @Richard Sutton both of which I strongly recommend. Next on my list is @Island Writer's short story collection.

Which brings me on to a suggestion. Sine there are a good number of published authors on this site wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere here where everyone could showcase their books? A sort of members bookshelf.
Seconded. Everybody brush up on your Dewey Decimal System!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret Book Case Rooms

Inside a Literary Agent's Head

Back