Reality Check Lullaby Of Woe By Alix .J. Gordon

Do Writers Look Like Their Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber

Basic
May 25, 2017
Katy, TX
I had to think. Yes, it's still Wednesday. At least, it is in the United States.

It's true. We think we're the only country on the planet. Admit it, when Americans say they live in the greatest country in the world, they come across as idiots -- right?

What's amazing is that we don't see that there's no benefit to being the greatest country on earth. The only way is down.

I've seen the result of being the greatest country on Earth. It's not that great.

Of course, we're good at some things. But there's so much we're not good at and if we would only admit we weren't good at them, we'd have a chance at being better. Because if we didn't think we were the bestest or the greatest, then perhaps we could learn from other countries and other cultures.

Okay, I'm off of my soapbox. Guess which way I lean? Politically that is.

Did you write today?

I'm writing the first pages of a Persian/Steampunk/Fantasy story. I have written several parts. I started with the ending and the ending turned into a novel of its own. I've now decided I better write the first story -- the first novel. I enjoy myself most of the time when I'm working on this story. The dystopia makes me sad but this one is a lot less bleak. Also, it's a pretty world, if not always a fair one. But what world is fair? Show me a fair world and I'll write you a dystopic.

Did you learn anything new today?

I learned that in Australia, arvo means AFTERNOON. I love that. I'm going to start using it immediately. Australians have a very picturesque way of speaking.

Do you procrastinate?

Funny you should ask that Amber. I was just thinking about procrastination. I often procrastinate but once I start its usually easy going. My procrastination takes the form of saying, "Well, the day is over." I'm getting in the habit of saying, "Why not use this day?"

Do you forget to eat and move and breathe and sleep when you're writing?

Not as such. I think I used that UK'ism correctly.

Americans don't say things like that.

Anyway. Yes and no. Yes I forget to eat and move and sleep. Breathing happens. However, this isn't a phenomenon exclusive to writing for me. I get very focused. Until I'm not. I have two speeds.

Do you listen to music while you write?

No. I hear about writers listening to music and I tried it. I now think it's horsehockey. I'm not sure some of the authors I've read actually listen to music. I think its a marketing thing.

I have fellow writers who say they listen to music.

...and because I can't say as much in real life, I'll say it here, to no one in particular...

You need to rethink that nonsense. Language has rhythm. The music you're listening to shouldn't decide that rhythm.
(and good grief, if the music you're listening to doesn't have a rhythm you hear or which impacts you, why are you listening anyway?)

I know people who smoke cigars when they write.

Or, drink when they write.

...and I want to say...

Nicely because I like these people.

Can we STOP already. Please. Please stop. You're killing me.

Because yes, that tidbit will be on their About or Bio page if it isn't already.

Well, that's enough for me. I'm off to learn some more Australian.

I could read your musings all day, Amber. The inside of your head is an entertaining place. :)

Oh, and your UK'ism, Not as such, was spot on.

I'm glad you reached out to us (a US'ism used by many, loathed by most. I think we know most of your vernacular. You're so good at exporting it -- not a loaded comment, just an observation. I grew up on American TV: The A Team, The Fall Guy, Blue Thunder, Airwolf. A little boy's idea of heaven. For years I wanted nothing more than to move to the States and be a trucker. You remember that movie Convoy? I had the theme song on 7" vinyl. But then my voice broke and I started noticing girls...).

Did you write today?

No. My small people wouldn't let me. But then it's only Thursday afternoon, so all is not lost...

Yes. I learned that my one-year-old really digs the band Imagine Dragons, particularly the track Thunder. [There was another Americanism in that sentence. Did you spot it?]

Do you procrastinate?

Yes. Don't we all? Nobody's enthusiastic about everything, regardless of what they tell you.

While writing scenes, yes (all but the breathing). But at the end of each scene reality always come crashing back in. I have to work myself up to re-enter the story headspace before I can get the next scene going.

No. I have tried to, mostly to classical stuff. I stopped doing it when I realized it was making all my prose sound big and booming.

Now, enough. Small people need food (and it'd be sterling if the little one learned to change his own nappy. Is that too much to ask? Is it?).

I could read your musings all day, Amber. The inside of your head is an entertaining place. :)

Oh, and your UK'ism, Not as such, was spot on.

I love 'spot on'.

I'm glad you reached out to us (a US'ism used by many, loathed by most. I think we know most of your vernacular. You're so good at exporting it -- not a loaded comment, just an observation. I grew up on American TV: The A Team, The Fall Guy, Blue Thunder, Airwolf. A little boy's idea of heaven. For years I wanted nothing more than to move to the States and be a trucker. You remember that movie Convoy? I had the theme song on 7" vinyl. But then my voice broke and I started noticing girls...).

Trevor Noah says he learned comedy in the UK and how to perform in the United States. I think that's probably true. We seem to steal a lot of British TV and then remake it over here. I hardly ever see it go the other way around. I can only think of one time.

I remember Convoy. I can't remember the theme song right now but it was catchy.

Did you write today?

No. My small people wouldn't let me. But then it's only Thursday afternoon, so all is not lost...

Yes. Still time yet.

Yes. I learned that my one-year-old really digs the band Imagine Dragons, particularly the track Thunder. [There was another Americanism in that sentence. Did you spot it?]

That's awesome! I love Imagine Dragons. They're very upbeat. Does he dance to it -- or does she dance to it? Is the Americanism 'digs'?

Do you procrastinate?

Yes. Don't we all? Nobody's enthusiastic about everything, regardless of what they tell you.

That's an interesting way of thinking about it.

While writing scenes, yes (all but the breathing). But at the end of each scene reality always come crashing back in. I have to work myself up to re-enter the story headspace before I can get the next scene going.

That totally makes sense to me. After I finish a scene or a chapter I always feel like I have to step away from it for a while, I've done all I can with it.

No. I have tried to, mostly to classical stuff. I stopped doing it when I realized it was making all my prose sound big and booming.

Now, enough. Small people need food (and it'd be sterling if the little one learned to change his own nappy. Is that too much to ask? Is it?).

That would be amazing.

Did you write today?

Yes I did, thanks to inspiration from our fellow writer/guardian Rich. I wrote a poem about grief.

No

Do you procrastinate?

Not really, but I had a date today and I had the most delicious choc fudge cake with ice cream.
I abused him a little because I wasn't the one paying this time :)

Eat - Yes, but I don't have a big appetite and I love to cook well and healthy with a cheeky glass of wine and some tunes playing.
Drink - No, I have earl grey on tap black and without sugar.
Sleep - Yes, I get moments where I can't settle and sleep until I have written whatever is in my head, then I can sleep.

Sometimes - I'm currently listening to Imagine Dragons - Thunder @Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Reality Check Lullaby Of Woe By Alix .J. Gordon

Do Writers Look Like Their Books?

Back