What bias in favour of debuts?

Webcam Spying

Oh, go on then, here's a spider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
I see Joanne Harris (Chocolat, etc) has been banging on again (Bookseller newsletter, today) about this bias she sees in publishing in favour of debut authors.

I would really, really love to know where she gets that impression.

If there's anyone in publishing out there listening, I can be having lunch with you by tomorrow... (Mss etc can be with you by return.)

I think that Joanne Harris may be revealing her insecurities, as her first two novels The Evil Seed and Sleep, Pale Sister had limited success. I kind of know what she's on about, though, as there's such a hunger for the latest thing (irrespective of its quality). It's particularly noticeable in the music business; take a look at the music review page of any newspaper and see how many names you recognise.

Scottish comedian Billy Connolly had a phrase for barracking from the hoi-polloi in his audience, who demanded fresh material at each performance: "Raw meat for the balcony!"

Also, book reviewers consider themselves such arbiters of taste that they hope to discover a new J.K. Rowling or E.L. James, so they give established authors short shrift.

Its funny how debut authors complain they do not get the attention they deserve and the the old names ie King, Atwood, get all the attention. Complete opposite of what she is saying. I wonder if it comes down to business and those that sell more get more invested into their marketing?

I think that Joanne Harris may be revealing her insecurities, as her first two novels The Evil Seed and Sleep, Pale Sister had limited success.

They were quite slight, yes, but she did get them published, though later, off the back of her Chocolat fame. Maybe she's contrasting her debut difficulties with what she imagines to be the case now. Note, imagines.

Maybe you could ask her, EG. She's contactable through a variety of channels. A few seconds online and I found her on:
She's also appearing at the Marlborough Festival of Literature this Saturday. I'm sure she'd be happy to chat over your concerns. ;)

Have a great day.

Robert.

Thank you. I don't do Twitter (or any social media) and I'm not in the UK.

My comment is not based on any concerns I have, as such. I just really wonder where Joanne Harris gets her concerns from. (But not enough to get into a correspondence with her about it.) She has said this, in public, several times, so they are obviously real to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webcam Spying

Oh, go on then, here's a spider...

Back