POV swap

Personal bio hiccups - a dangerous opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber

Basic
May 25, 2017
Katy, TX
I had a hard time picking between Amusement and FYI for the topic.

This is mostly for Agent Pete who asked about Valley Girls today. I grew up surrounded by Valley Girls but I couldn't recall the specifics of their/our speech. Now that I've looked at it, it turns out I am guilty of doing some of these things. Henry Higgins would no doubt catch me out.

Valley Girls say 'like' and 'you know'. The first time I said 'you know' to a friend of mine they said, "No. I don't know." Because we say it without thinking.

Young California girls roll their eyes, draw out their words, and act like everything is just too much trouble. They can't be bothered. Most things simply aren't cool enough to deserve their attention.

Oh and they/we say awesome a lot. I definitely do that. And dude. I still say that too.

I encourage no one to watch the whole video.

SNL The Californians

It's a reference that started in the 1980's. There was a song by Moon Zappa (Frank Zappa's daughter) and a movie with Nicolas Cage. Then in the 90s a movie called Clueless.

I suppose 'from the Valley' is what it means in California too... pretty much. Except, it's the San Fernando Valley where the accent, or speech pattern, is assumed to be the strongest. I think most Californians escape most of the marbles in the mouth sound but using 'like', 'you know', 'awesome', and 'dude'.... most use those words.

another common expression, expressing moral outrage by saying, "That is not okay."
adding "I mean" to "like" and "you know" for example, "Like, I mean, you know, I just can't go there.

the common thread seems to be to soften the statement. Even calling someone dude implies a level of friendliness. For example, saying "Dude, that is not okay." when someone drives over your foot.

It's a reference that started in the 1980's. There was a song by Moon Zappa (Frank Zappa's daughter) and a movie with Nicolas Cage. Then in the 90s a movie called Clueless.

I suppose 'from the Valley' is what it means in California too... pretty much. Except, it's the San Fernando Valley where the accent, or speech pattern, is assumed to be the strongest. I think most Californians escape most of the marbles in the mouth sound but using 'like', 'you know', 'awesome', and 'dude'.... most use those words.

oh, the memories! I went to school with Valley Girls! their most famouse phrase was the ohmygoooood! with a little twist of the mouth. And yes, the like and the i mean. Oh and must not forget fer sure, and totally!

And the fact that they were mostly upper middle white girls. The Valley was, not sure it is still, an upper class area of Southern California. If you lived in the Valley, you had it made. In Karate Kid, the bad guys we fro the Valley, I think it was Sherman Oaks or Encino, while Daniel was from Receda, a lower class neighborhood next to the valley. This is something they emphasize more in the new Karate Kid show, Cobra Kai.
So, they were also, as we used to say, stuck up kids, which means they thought very highly of themselves.
Valley boys had their own words too like dude, rad, and bitchin.

Here is a link to a video that explains it all!

I know that we try to avoid politics on the Colony, but it's occurred to me that the current incumbent of the office of President of the United States is channeling the spirit of a valley girl, in how he talks.

Why Would the President of the United States, Like, Tweet This Way?

donald-trump.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

POV swap

Personal bio hiccups - a dangerous opinion

Back