Fanfare! Upcoming publication

Writing The Scary: Article, The Horror Of The Unreal

"A man would never do that"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Byrne

Last Friday, I was offered a spot for a short in a compilation celebrating the Irish hero mythos, and the hero Cú Chulainn in particular, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising of April 24-29, 1916.

Mine will be a WWI piece, which I've never tried before, on a topic that I'm teaching myself about now, and then I have about a week to write a 30-page piece. I don't have a lot of details about the project, just that I said YES THANK YOU, and will let you know more when I hear more.

For now, I'm super-stoked, and especially touched at the offer because I have a very deep appreciation of my Irish ancestry, heritage, and family name and such, combined with a sort of weird homesickness for having never visited Ireland. So this to me feels like an opportunity to do something of value to give back to that heritage.

Congrats, sir! :D
Not enough "like" button optins. Big congrats!
AWESOME!! Congrats!! :D
Congratulations, hope it goes really well for you ;)
Excellente, senor! :)
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! I've read up on the prelude to the Gallipoli Campaign, and am frantically learning period Irish names, slang, and military organization and dress as I also figure out which divisions and brigades arrived where, under whom, and at what time, so I can get a couple characters to say hello, meet interesting people, and kill them. Eff you historical accuracy!

Gallipoli, the biggest part of the ANZAC history, and a major stuff up, landed our troops on the wrong beaches! Our people (Aus and NZ) go there every year on Anzac day (25th Aptil). The Turks had huge respect for their enemy, we were stubborn as a mule and keep shooting after we had withdrawn! Beat that ;)

Gallipoli, the biggest part of the ANZAC history, and a major stuff up, landed our troops on the wrong beaches! Our people (Aus and NZ) go there every year on Anzac day (25th Aptil). The Turks had huge respect for their enemy, we were stubborn as a mule and keep shooting after we had withdrawn! Beat that ;)

Ataturk, my mother said to me once, was something of a pin-up for many women students of her generation. Ataturk quotes and speeches - All About Turkey

Wow! Brilliant. Well done!
Now I can get excited about it here too :D
Congrats!
Woo hoo! Congratulations!!!!! :)
Excellent!
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
Interesting work, trying to look for time to research and write 6 pages a day, around my normal job, training for the new job, random quizzes by my soon-to-be new boss, and then after work making furniture out of pallets for people for some money on the side.

I'm finding out. Pulling a retired general out of retirement just for fun and had him sleep through most of the landing operations...

Last edited:
Congratulations! Whoa, pressure to do some really good writing now. *grin* ;):D
If you need us, we'll all be happy to give you feedback in the houses and many words of encouragement!:):)

Eff you historical accuracy!

If the historical accuracy is getting to be a slog because you are having to bounce between writing (using creative brain) and researching(using analytical brain), I've found something that works for me.

When I write creatively I leave the all the checks (noted with an asterisk) to do when I come to the end of a chapter (or can do this at regular intervals) so I don't have to stop the flow of writing. Then I do the checks in batches when my brain is in an analytical mode.

Thanks @Sea-shore and everyone for the encouragement! It really helps keep up the pace and not lose my mind, as you were saying.

I had a good day in the saddle today, and managed to get about 2,300 words this morning, around my regular work, and trained all afternoon for the new position they're moving me into. I still managed to break 15 pages after my second day of writing, and so I'm still on schedule to finish next Monday, with two more work days available before the due date. W00t w00t!

I'll be out all tomorrow supervising the replacement of my exterior AC unit and furnace, and will be losing a day of writing, so I had to get myself ahead.

Sorry I was out today, but I thought I'd check in and let you know!

This is great! Congratulations, Jason! I hope this is a wonderful experience and leads to terrific things for you. :)

I made the February deadline, finishing it yesterday evening. I had two weeks to make 30 pages, which wouldn't be so bad, except around my day job and training for my upcoming new position, that actually worked out to four work days dedicated to writing the story. Now the story's out for editing, and we wait...
Thank you very much everyone for the support and encouragement — it really helped, even though I haven't been able to be here much in the meantime, that you were rooting me on.

Last Friday, I was offered a spot for a short in a compilation celebrating the Irish hero mythos, and the hero Cú Chulainn in particular, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising of April 24-29, 1916.

Mine will be a WWI piece, which I've never tried before, on a topic that I'm teaching myself about now, and then I have about a week to write a 30-page piece. I don't have a lot of details about the project, just that I said YES THANK YOU, and will let you know more when I hear more.

For now, I'm super-stoked, and especially touched at the offer because I have a very deep appreciation of my Irish ancestry, heritage, and family name and such, combined with a sort of weird homesickness for having never visited Ireland. So this to me feels like an opportunity to do something of value to give back to that heritage.

That sounds awesome! Good job!

Thanks @Sea-shore and everyone for the encouragement! It really helps keep up the pace and not lose my mind, as you were saying.

I had a good day in the saddle today, and managed to get about 2,300 words this morning, around my regular work, and trained all afternoon for the new position they're moving me into. I still managed to break 15 pages after my second day of writing, and so I'm still on schedule to finish next Monday, with two more work days available before the due date. W00t w00t!

I'll be out all tomorrow supervising the replacement of my exterior AC unit and furnace, and will be losing a day of writing, so I had to get myself ahead.

Sorry I was out today, but I thought I'd check in and let you know!

I hate you now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing The Scary: Article, The Horror Of The Unreal

"A man would never do that"...

Back