Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

Question: "... in a pre-empt ..."

Writing for wellbeing.

From Our Blog

Feb 3, 2024
Just posted on SuperStack by Claire G – discussions in this thread, please
---

Save the Cat?

My three psychological novels have unlikeable point-of-view characters. Without balance, they can appear two-dimensional – and I’ve discovered that achieving that balance is rather tricky! What do I mean by balance? I suppose I’m talking in terms of the reader’s perception. Is the character’s dark side countered by a bit of light, or a reason to root for them?

It’s unusual to find main characters who are ‘all bad’. Yes, the antagonist may be (but even then, they can come across as hammy villains if not done carefully! Think of Hannibal Lecter – doesn’t Thomas Harris make a dark part of you connect with the cannibal?), but an ‘all bad’ protagonist? I can only think of a few, and even then it may be argued that there are nuances.

One is a classic: Wuthering Heights. Yes, the story is told from the perspective of an outsider, but Cathy and Heathcliff are the true stars of the story. The first time I read this novel, I could not understand why people love it so much. The ill-fated lovers had almost no redeeming qualities. Their obsessive and tempestuous relationship, the love-hate of it, and their treatment of others bamboozled me. But I was young then, only a teen. A few years later, I decided to give it another chance. I’ve read it several times since. Notice that I said almost no redeeming qualities. I realised that their love is their redeeming feature – their all-consuming passion for each other, reflected in the wildness of the Yorkshire moors.

The other book is contemporary: How to Kill Your Family. This novel is from the perspective of Grace, a young woman seeking revenge for her rich father’s treatment of her abandoned mother. Grace vows to kill his entire family, one-by-one. A caveat to my comments is that I only listened to the abridged version of this on BBC Sounds, so I may have missed subtleties in the author’s portrayal of Grace’s mindset, but from what I heard this character has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Despite her motivation, I felt no sympathy. Most people in her situation would not turn murderous! Morbid curiosity kept me listening to the end – which was disturbingly satisfying.

Of the two books, Wuthering Heights is the one I would read again. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s read both and has their own opinion about how character likeability influenced their enjoyment.

Final Thoughts

Do you enjoy books which have unlikeable main characters?

Which books can you think of which fit this description?

Does the character ‘save the cat’ at any point?

How do you relate to unlikeable characters?

*The title refers to Blake Snyder’s theory that we can make an audience root for an unlikeable character by having them metaphorically save a cat early in a story, i.e. perform a redeeming action.
---

By @Claire G
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

I love writing unlikeable characters. (And reading them too, of course.) Probably because if done right, they're full of contradictions and depth, and psychologically complexities and flaws. I have written several, and apart from one, they all redeem themselves at the last minute during the ending. Unlikable characters are deeply damaged people. Maybe that's why we find them fascinating. They tap into those parts within us which are hurting in some way.

Grace .... but from what I heard this character has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Despite her motivation, I felt no sympathy. Most people in her situation would not turn murderous!
Agree. I wanted to slap her most of the way through. It didn't work for me, partly because her motivation was wrong. Her damage (dad betrayed mum) didn't equal (wrong word) her solution (to kill him). If her dad had actually killed her mum, it would have worked. But leaving her isn't enough to have that amount of hatred that would drive a daughter to kill. But also because Grace didn't show many redeeming traits either. She never questioned whether killing is wrong. There was no inner soul pain, turmoil, or deep damage done by her past. We never really saw her suffer. Cause and effect have to have the same value.

Writing unlikable characters can work if it's done sensitively, not simply for effect. Characters like that are complex and like you say, Claire, nobody is truly bad. Unlikeable characters are misguided, damaged. An unlikable character in real life could be the grumpy neighbour next door who regularly throws cat poo over your fence. In the story we write, we ask why are they like that. That's one of the fascinating bits. We all have a dark side, a flawed side etc. In fiction, they should be a reflection of those parts in us, and show us their fears, insecurities. If we can make them resonate with the hidden part of humanity, they'll be fascinating to read. But that's just my 2p.

Last edited:
I love writing unlikeable characters. (And reading them too, of course.) Probably because if done right, they're full of contradictions and depth, and psychologically complexities and flaws. I have written several, and apart from one, they all redeem themselves at the last minute during the ending. Unlikable characters are deeply damaged people. Maybe that's why we find them fascinating. They tap into those parts within us which are hurting in some way.

Agree. I wanted to slap her most of the way through. It didn't work for me, partly because her motivation was wrong. Her damage (dad betrayed mum) didn't equal (wrong word) her solution (to kill him). If her dad had actually killed her mum, it would have worked. But leaving her isn't enough to have that amount of hatred that would drive a daughter to kill. But also because Grace didn't show many redeeming traits either. She never questioned whether killing is wrong. There was no inner soul pain, turmoil, or deep damage done by her past. We never really saw her suffer. Cause and effect have to have the same value.

Writing unlikable characters can work if it's done sensitively, not simply for effect. Characters like that are complex and like you say, Claire, nobody is truly bad. Unlikeable characters are misguided, damaged. An unlikable character in real life could be the grumpy neighbour next door who regularly throws cat poo over your fence. In the story we write, we ask why are they like that. That's one of the fascinating bits. We all have a dark side, a flawed side etc. In fiction, they should be a reflection of those parts in us, and show us their fears, insecurities. If we can make them resonate with the hidden part of humanity, they'll be fascinating to read. But that's just my 2p.
Great analysis!

I think it's only the deeply flawed characters that are worth rooting for. Regardless of their unlikeable traits, it's their humanity that makes them interesting. This is most obvious is soaps, where the best characters are not those who are truly good or bad but the ones that can be swayed either way.

I think this is the same side of the coin that sees most actors saying baddies are their favourites to play. Often more depth and character facets to their make up.

I do like a good nasty baddie in books and dramas, but I'm quite old school in hoping to see them defeated in the end.

Question: "... in a pre-empt ..."

Writing for wellbeing.

Back