Seen on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
Anyone on Wattpad and youtube?

Oh dear..another 'thing' us authors have to do...yeah i hear ya. But if you do have a Youtube channel or want to follow others who do I would like to follow ya.

Also recently discovered Wattpad and wondered if anyone else is on too.

What about other unusual social media avenues? apart form fb/twitter/blogs

Goodreads is one i haven't tried to invest the time in yet.

Wattpad is where you post your chapters and books for free to get feedback and increase awareness. Some authors have received agent representation from that route.

Here's one article from a self publishing author....Indiee Author Dianne Greene

I have wattpad, don't use it, as it seems totally useless to me. Too much time can be wasted on too many social sites in my opinion. I do have a youtube account as well with about half a dozen videos I've created.

I use Litopia and Face Book. I have spent some time on Critters Workshop. Between all three, I was spending more time reading posts and critiquing other people's work that it left me little time for my own. So, I dropped Critters...can't possibly go without my fellow Litopians.

I do you tube, but only to provide the grandparents with videos of their grandkids (since I'm such a horrible child and took the grandchildren to live half a world away from the grandparents). Oh, and I think I've posted a video of my cat there too...nothing anyone really needs to see! Hadn't thought of using it professionally...That could be dangerous--I really like creating video, and I have to force myself not to do it, or I'm afraid it will consume my life.

I do you tube, but only to provide the grandparents with videos of their grandkids (since I'm such a horrible child and took the grandchildren to live half a world away from the grandparents). Oh, and I think I've posted a video of my cat there too...nothing anyone really needs to see! Hadn't thought of using it professionally...That could be dangerous--I really like creating video, and I have to force myself not to do it, or I'm afraid it will consume my life.

I love making vids but still not got the hang of it. I think a lot of people are recognising the power of using this as a different but effective method to reach out to new audiences.

Do people here think LinkedIn is uncommon social media? I have an account there but haven't really used it.
I use it, but never look at my 'feed,' where I think most people talk about be spammed. Until I am published, my LinkedIn will have nothing to do with my writing pursuits, however, so I merely use it in conjunction with jobs I've previously worked.

Twitter is "the water cooler" for anyone writing. It's great for networking and always has "competitions" going on for writers- follow Brenda drake. She facilitates a lot of contests, pitch wars pitmad. If you're going to waste (spend) time on social media Twitter is it. Watch out for pitch wars next year, even if you don't get picked you get awesome feedback from mentors which is hard to come by!

I sort of used LinkedIn when I was interpreting, as a way to maintain some contacts with colleagues in the US when we left, but haven't used it for writing. Disenchanted with it, to be honest.

I have so far had one non-fiction writing contract directly from LinkedIn. It was £3.5 k though, and I did not go after it. It found me, so I keep a toe in there.

Excellent!

I have also put down that I am a writer, even though i haven't been published. I believe that if i make it a career then i have to take myself seriously now and announce it to the world. I's partly motivating, well mainly. ;)

There are no linear paths to getting published....anymore.

Thank you. Yes, I knocked it together myself using the Moviemaker one that came with Windows. I scripted it and had an ex-Beeb announcer on fiverr.com do the VO. I know it's too long, but it was fun!

What's your channel?

Here's a link to my channel.

Am still experimenting and hoping to build it up. I find youtube the most challenging social media tool to build content for.

Last edited:
I agree. However, I learned from @Alistair Roberts channel that if you search around on YouTube and 'like' a video, it gets added to your channel. Another appproach is to create a slideshow.

By 'added to your channel' do you mean shown your activity?

I created a slideshow and still experimenting with sound and capturing online activity when playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New app offers 'books for the Snapchat generation'

Seen on Twitter

Back