Twitter's upcoming Pitch contest

Suggestion Guide for Beta-Readers (Pop-ups?)

Dandelion Break More nice things happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen J

Basic
Feb 14, 2023
Wondering if anyone here will be participating in the Pitch contest on Aug 1? There's going to be a few workshops I think starting July 28-31 to help people. As this will be my first one ever, I'm very nervous my pitches won't be interesting enough for any agent to heart.

Wondering if anyone here will be participating in the Pitch contest on Aug 1? There's going to be a few workshops I think starting July 28-31 to help people. As this will be my first one ever, I'm very nervous my pitches won't be interesting enough for any agent to heart.
Not this year.

If you put the contest with # in the twitter search, you might find previous efforts to look at. It's basically a good, condensed back of the book blurb. Most do a book comparison at the start (Book a x book b). Take care if you receive likes. There will be scammers on the look-out as well as bona fide agents/publishers. Research likers before replying.

Check out @AgentPete 's Blurb seminar.

Afterwards, come join a huddle with your blurb. Blurbing in the huddle is good fun and very insightful. :)

How does this work?

There's going to be a few workshops I think starting July 28-31 to help people.
Where? On twitter?

I'm not planning on pitching, but these things always pique my curiosity. It's a rare opportunity to look into agents' heads and see what they like

Not this year.

If you put the contest with # in the twitter search, you might find previous efforts to look at. It's basically a good, condensed back of the book blurb. Most do a book comparison at the start (Book a x book b). Take care if you receive likes. There will be scammers on the look-out as well as bona fide agents/publishers. Research likers before replying.

Afterwards, come join a huddle with your blurb. Blurbing in the huddle is good fun and very insightful. :)
I've researched the 'how to twit pitch' for examples. I'm allowed 4. I had Intro, When, Media, & Action but everyone's said the Action one makes it sound too 'Thriller' so I've written a second Intro style one. I may do another When as practice from the 2nd MC's side but the story is more about the 1st MC's journey. I'm in 2 groups who're supposed to help with getting pitches to sound great, but 1 doesn't seem that interested in helping me as a good portion of those writers write thriller/horror. To be fair I'm can't help them as I'm not into Dracula or Twilight books & graphic novels are way beyond me now.

Where? On twitter?

I'm not planning on pitching, but these things always pique my curiosity. It's a rare opportunity to look into agents' heads and see what they like
On Twitter even though he's changed the name & dumped the birdy. It's now just 'X'. This is an LGBTQ event. Last I saw they'd signed up 35 agents & publishers who'll be checking what's being pitched.

Unfortunately I can't check out any Blurb seminars because the 1 link I tried said You do not have permission to view this page. So I can only presume, like the Huddles, I'd have to be a paying member.

Unfortunately I can't check out any Blurb seminars because the 1 link I tried said You do not have permission to view this page. So I can only presume, like the Huddles, I'd have to be a paying member.
Or pay per seminar.

If it helps, I've written a blog about composing Twitter pitches (I got a book deal from the #PitDark contest). Here's the key info below for you:

I highly recommend reading Dan Koboldt's pitching tips as a starting point. It is also good to research pitches that have done well in previous contests and unpack them to see if yours can follow a similar format. However, if you're short on time, here's a basic outline I've come up with, using my book as an example:
  • Character + situation/story trigger: Lyss, she's bound in blood pact with a monster.
  • Desire: Get to Illredus to break the pact, find her father's killer.
  • Obstacles: The physical distance, the monster, the empire's soldiers hunting her.
  • The stakes: If she doesn't break the pact she'll go mad, if she gets caught by the Empire, they'll execute her.
From here, I mix and match the order/elements to create different pitches, such as:

Lyss's bound in a blood pact with a monster [character + situation]—a forbidden magic punishable by death [stakes]. Her only hope of survival lies in the city of Illredus [desire]. But first she has to drag the less-than-amicable monster across the Empire [obstacle] and try not to go mad from it's magic [stakes + obstacle].

The rest of the post is here: Twitter pitching 101 but be aware the information is a few years old now.

If it helps, I've written a blog about composing Twitter pitches (I got a book deal from the #PitDark contest). Here's the key info below for you:

I highly recommend reading Dan Koboldt's pitching tips as a starting point. It is also good to research pitches that have done well in previous contests and unpack them to see if yours can follow a similar format. However, if you're short on time, here's a basic outline I've come up with, using my book as an example:
  • Character + situation/story trigger: Lyss, she's bound in blood pact with a monster.
  • Desire: Get to Illredus to break the pact, find her father's killer.
  • Obstacles: The physical distance, the monster, the empire's soldiers hunting her.
  • The stakes: If she doesn't break the pact she'll go mad, if she gets caught by the Empire, they'll execute her.
From here, I mix and match the order/elements to create different pitches, such as:

Lyss's bound in a blood pact with a monster [character + situation]—a forbidden magic punishable by death [stakes]. Her only hope of survival lies in the city of Illredus [desire]. But first she has to drag the less-than-amicable monster across the Empire [obstacle] and try not to go mad from it's magic [stakes + obstacle].

The rest of the post is here: Twitter pitching 101 but be aware the information is a few years old now.
Thank you. I PM'ed you a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggestion Guide for Beta-Readers (Pop-ups?)

Dandelion Break More nice things happening

Back