Suggestion Guide for Beta-Readers (Pop-ups?)

Amusement What is YOUR surefire idiot marker

Twitter's upcoming Pitch contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Charles

A quantum entangled quark.
Mar 8, 2022
Hawaii
I came across this guide (on the web) and thought it might be of use to the Colony. @AgentPete @Jonny

Thoughts for beta-readers:
Opening Scene:
  • Does the story begin with an interesting hook, creating a desire to read more?
  • Does the manuscript begin in the right place?
Characterization & Motivation:
  • Are the characters compelling, sympathetic, or someone you can root for?
  • Do the characters feel real and three-dimensional, with distinct voices, flaws, and virtues?
  • Are their goals clear and proactive enough to influence the plot (not passive)?
  • Do their motivations seem believable, with well-drawn and appropriate emotion?
  • Are the secondary characters well-rounded and enhance the story rather than overwhelming the story or seeming like they should be cut?
  • Are the relationships between the characters believable and not contrived?
Plot & Conflict:
  • Are the internal and external conflicts well defined for each main character?
  • Are the internal and external conflicts organic and believable, i.e. arising out of characterization and circumstance rather than feeling contrived or forced?
  • Are there enough stakes and/or tension throughout to make it a “page turner”?
  • Does the premise avoid cliché and/or bring a fresh perspective to an old idea?
  • Are the plot twists believable yet unexpected?
  • Do the characters act or react to events in a plausible, realistic, or believable way?

Pacing:
    • Do scenes progress in a realistic, compelling manner and flow with effective transitions?
    • Does every scene add to and seem important to the story?
    • Does the story move along at an appropriate pace, without rushing or dragging?
    • Is there a hook at the end of each chapter or scene that makes you want to read more?
    • Is the story free from information dumps or backstory that slow the pace of the story?
  • Setting & Worldbuilding:
    • Are descriptions vivid and give a clear sense of time and place?
    • Do the details enhance rather than distract from the story?
  • Dialogue:
    • Is the dialogue natural and appropriate for the story, not stilted or overly narrative?
    • Does dialogue move the story forward and reveal the characters?
    • Are characters’ voices consistent and distinct from one another?
    • Is there an appropriate mix of dialogue and narrative?
  • Craft:
    • Does the writing “show” the scene with the senses, using “telling” only as appropriate?
    • Does the writing quality allow the story to shine through and draw the reader in, or are flaws jarring or intrusive?
    • Is the tone appropriate and consistent for the story?
    • Is the point of view (and any changes) handled appropriately and consistently?
  • Overall Impression:
    • Is the voice unique, fresh, or interesting?
    • Does the story deliver on the promise of its premise and opening scenes?
    • From a reader’s point of view, did you enjoy reading this story?
  • Additional Questions for Comment:
    • Are there any confusing sections that should be made clearer? (Mark in the manuscript)
    • Do any sections take you out of the story? (Mark in the manuscript)
    • Is the story a good fit for the stated genre, and if not, why not?
    • Who are your favorite—and least favorite—characters and why?
    • What aspects are especially likable or unlikable about the protagonist(s)?
    • What three things worked best for you?
    • What three things worked least for you?

I think a beta-reader might balk at that list a little. I would. I also think it's leading them a bit too much? You might miss out on some good gut reactions from such specific questions. I think even using the headings from this list could work?

What did you think of the opening?
Did you connect to the characters and their motivations?
How was the pace? Any boring or confusing bits? Was it predictable?
Did you get a good feel for the setting/world?
Did the dialogue feel real for the story?
Did you think it was well written, a smooth read, with a consistent tone?
Was it a satisfying, memorable story?
What do you think could be improved?

I agree with LJ. This seems like the directive that Litopia started with and went terribly wrong. It's going to engage the editor brain.

I just want to know- how did you feel on finishing the book or could you? If not why not? What feelings do you have towards the characters. Did one stand out to you? Would you want to read a sequel? Again, Tiffany Yates Martin has a good guide for a page of questions to give a beta reader. They are pretty simple, but meant to gauge reader satisfaction.

Last edited:
I also agree with @LJ Beck - keep the questions short, simple and as open-ended as possible. Beta reading is very time consuming. Adding memorizing a huge list of directives would often be a step too far for those who volunteer to spend the time on your MS.

Having said that, I think it's a good list for anyone who wishes to do beta reading in general to familiarise themselves with (rather than apply it scrutinizingly to a specific MS).

And useful for the author to look through before reading their draft s if it were the printed book.

I think these lists highlight a major weakness in regard to beta readers and other kinds of "pier reviews" - it says nothing about genre. Delivering on the genre or not, is probably the main factor in deciding whether or not readers like a book.

I don't read a lot of fantasy, so if I was to comment on a fantasy story I could be reading something that is a surprising twist of a fantasy trope and not getting it, and then give feedback about pacing or not showing, while totally missing that what I'm reading is something that would make a fantasy reader shout with joy. Likewise, if you are not a James Bond fan you would probably not rave about a paragraph describing how his drink is mixed.

So I think genre delivery should be high up on these lists. And also you need to be picky about whose feedback you value. Either someone who knows, or preferably loves, your genre or one of those rare people (in general professionals) who know what makes readers of a genre tick. Obviously, there is still some basic feedback that can be valuable, like "your sentences are unreadable" etc.

Hi @JohnBertel - I think knowing if your beta-reader reads your genre (and how much) can inform their answers to these questions. So maybe just "Do you read much of this genre?" would do it. But I always ask that when someone offers to beta-read. I had some beta-readers who were SFF readers and some who weren't, and it showed in their feedback if they knew the genre. I didn't need different questions really. Did you not find that?

Personally, as a beta reader - only done it a few times - I never go into this amount of detail. Indeed a Jonny beta read is strictly a craft free zone :)

My approach has always been very simple and revolves around the word 'reader'. I have been sent a story to read - what do I think of it?

So, I will feedback only on how the story affected me. Was I engaged, did I make I to the end without beginning to skim read? Was the conclusion satisfying and compelling? Could I see any plot holes? Is it a book I would have ben happy to part with money for? Etc.

Editing the nuts and bolts of anyone's manuscript to the Nth degree is a job for an editor. And an editor I ain't.

That said - the list is very comprehensive and might, as has been already mentioned, act as a good prompt document as points an author might wish to consider during their query preparation process.

I agree with Jonny.... as a 'reader' you asked for my opinion, and I will do just that. I've been on sites where they expect you to follow a format and that to me is far too technical for the task. If I like the story - make a note... if there are glitches - make a note - I'll certainly point out tidbits that may help enhance your script and reel in the reader. Again, I am the reader - you are the author - with that said you may or may not agree with comments/suggestions. If you have 10 readers, you'll probably get 10 different opinions - can't please everyone - only hope you please the majority.

As a writer I'm grateful when someone gives feedback - even if only a sentence - that in itself speaks volumes!

I've been on sites where their so-called Feeback was downright viscious, and I called them out on it - and is the main reason I've stayed away from forums. I actually came across a website that had a link to Litopia and decided to give it a try.

I know I'm ranting now - sorry.

I agree with Jonny.... as a 'reader' you asked for my opinion, and I will do just that. I've been on sites where they expect you to follow a format and that to me is far too technical for the task. If I like the story - make a note... if there are glitches - make a note - I'll certainly point out tidbits that may help enhance your script and reel in the reader. Again, I am the reader - you are the author - with that said you may or may not agree with comments/suggestions. If you have 10 readers, you'll probably get 10 different opinions - can't please everyone - only hope you please the majority.

As a writer I'm grateful when someone gives feedback - even if only a sentence - that in itself speaks volumes!

I've been on sites where their so-called Feeback was downright viscious, and I called them out on it - and is the main reason I've stayed away from forums. I actually came across a website that had a link to Litopia and decided to give it a try.

I know I'm ranting now - sorry.
I can sympathise. All too often forums or writing groups devolve into gladiatorial battles for power. Ugh. I think it does help to remember that we have an editor, a writer and a reader brain. We have to be able to shift between all 3, but as writers we have to be very aware of which one we are in when looking at our own work and others. Too often giving your internal editor too much power is death to voice. We all have those internal critical voices from childhood-it is imperative they NEVER get to sit in the editor chair. And God forbid they become self righteous about "good" writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement What is YOUR surefire idiot marker

Twitter's upcoming Pitch contest

Back