Inspiration! Tiffany Yates Martin's course on Multiple POV

We all need a bit of it in these strange times...

From The Writer's Chair A friend in need...

State-Of-Mind My grandmother died today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
This was a very reasonable course. By Tuesday I am promised a portfolio of answered questions that were submitted on the night. TYM was pithy and charming as usual. The few absolutes: First and Foremost don't confuse your reader. Make sure characters and story arcs serve the main story. Accept you may be cutting huge swathes of story arcs that dont really advance the plot. For everything else - it depends. If you can make it work -go for it. The best info I got was YES characters can switch POV within the story. One can be in first, then another in 3rd, etc. Just be consistent with that POV and character. This helped me a lot with the Gothic horror I want to be starting soon. Yes it may appear to be obvious, but I found it freeing. The course cost about 30 euros and went for 90 minutes with the additional notes expected.

The next course is Oct 18. And you get 10 percent off if you are a subscriber to her newsletter. Code word: NEWSLETTER

Also I learned about Plottr. Plottr - Plan Your Books Like a Pro

Last edited:
TThe best info I got was YES characters can switch POV within the story. One can be in first, then another in 3rd, etc. Just be consistent with that POV and character. This helped me a lot with the Gothic horror I want to be starting soon. Yes it may appear to be obvious, but I found it freeing.
I do that in my book. I have intermittent chapters in the Fae king's close 3rd person POV. The rest is in Saoirse's first person POV. I've seen that before and it only throws me off if it's done badly or if you're already a long way into the story when suddenly the POV changes. This makes me think if you're going to do it, do it pretty early on so the reader comes to expect it. In my case, the first appearance of the king's POV comes at a turning point, as do the others, so it makes sense to the story.

$30. That's £25. Very reasonable though course after course will soon add up.
Actually it is 25 US. So, I just checked, 20 pounds. Because I also get additional material that I can printout, for me it's good value. I wouldnt take every course, but this one I really needed for a confidence booster.

I do that in my book. I have intermittent chapters in the Fae king's close 3rd person POV. The rest is in Saoirse's first person POV. I've seen that before and it only throws me off if it's done badly or if you're already a long way into the story when suddenly the POV changes. This makes me think if you're going to do it, do it pretty early on so the reader comes to expect it. In my case, the first appearance of the king's POV comes at a turning point, as do the others, so it makes sense to the story.
For me because I have about 7 characters coming together to shelter in a specific place from a storm I have to figure out who's in first, who's in 3rd on introduction. And TYM even suggested a narrative voice to pull all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

From The Writer's Chair A friend in need...

State-Of-Mind My grandmother died today

Back