News This Saturday: LitFest vol II

Wondering about this Saturday, April 25th?

Book Review: Seal Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara

Emeritus
Nov 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
It's LitFest time!!

Emily and I would like to invite you to our virtual LitFest this Saturday 18th April. The fest doors will be open from 4 30pm (UK time) onwards for a 5 PM kick off. We'll be using BlueJean again. Basically, it's a bit like a Huddle but only it's not. It won't be writing related and there won't be any work, and Emily and I will be your hosts. Just bring yourselves and a good mood. We also want to see wine glasses and cake plates (or pizza, in Andy's case). Let's make this jolly.

We thought we'd play a few light-hearted games, some fun tasks, or whatevers.

So, here are some things to bring:
  1. We would like you to bring along one personal anecdote (real, or not). Tell the group, and everyone will guess if it's true or false. i.e. 'I climbed the Matterhorn, but during my ascent my pickaxe broke, and then I dropped my rucksack and all the sandwiches fell out, and never mind about the thunder and lightning or the staring cow which followed me to the top.' The group will then 'grill' you with questions before we guess whether you're telling the truth or not.
  2. We'd like you to bring an object that is characteristic to you, something that means something to you. Are you a hobby car mechanic? Bring engine oil. Is there someone special in your life? Bring their photo. Do you have a quirk? Bring an object that defines that quirk. Do you collect stamps? We'd like to see them. We're nosy.
  3. Guess the task. We all think of one imaginary task (no need to act it out, unless you desperately want to). Each person can ask you 1 question which prompts a yes or no answer. After one round of questions we guess what the task is. Something along the lines of 'Skipping through a tulip field.' or 'Shopping for carrots.' Anything. But you'll be interrogated.
  4. Anyone fancy decorating a toilet roll? Go for it. Make it creative, funny, scary. Bring it along. We'd like to see it.
These are just a few ideas. Any other suggestions are welcome.

If you'd like to just sit, and be with us, that's fine too. This is an easy-going, no pressure gettogether, a bit of time away from the virus.

Geoff, no need to sing.

The wonderful @AgentPete will be honouring us with his presence. I dare you all to try beat his toilet roll decorating skills.

To join simply turn up by following this link.

Meeting URL
Meeting ID
311 996 764

That's it. See you there.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Unless you send it in a special keep fresh box, it'll be stone hard by Saturday. Or crumbly like dust. Do you think Geoff will be able to sing with a sandstorm going in his throat?

He could dunk it in tea.

It's LitFest time!!

Emily and I would like to invite you to our virtual LitFest this Saturday 18th April. The fest doors will be open from 4 30pm (UK time) onwards for a 5 PM kick off. We'll be using BlueJean again. Basically, it's a bit like a Huddle but only it's not. It won't be writing related and there won't be any work, and Emily and I will be your hosts. Just bring yourselves and a good mood. We also want to see wine glasses and cake plates (or pizza, in Andy's case). Let's make this jolly.

We thought we'd play a few light-hearted games, some fun tasks, or whatevers.

So, here are some things to bring:
  1. We would like you to bring along one personal anecdote (real, or not). Tell the group, and everyone will guess if it's true or false. i.e. 'I climbed the Matterhorn, but during my ascent my pickaxe broke, and then I dropped my rucksack and all the sandwiches fell out, and never mind about the thunder and lightning or the staring cow which followed me to the top.' The group will then 'grill' you with question before we guess whether you're telling the truth or not.
  2. We'd like you to bring an object that is characteristic to you, something that means something to you. Are you a hobby car mechanic? Bring engine oil. Is there someone special in your life? Bring their photo. Do you have a quirk? Bring an object that defines that quirk. Do you collect stamps? We'd like to see them. We're nosy.
  3. Guess the task. We all think of one imaginary task (no need to act it out, unless you desperately want to). Each person can ask you 1 question which prompts a yes or no answer. After one round of questions we guess what the task is. Something along the lines of 'Skipping through a tulip field.' or 'Shopping for carrots.' Anything. But you'll be interrogated.
  4. Anyone fancy decorating a toilet roll? Go for it. Make it creative, funny, scary. Bring it along. We'd like to see it.
These are just a few ideas. Any other suggestions are welcome.

If you'd like to just sit, and be with us, that's fine too. This is an easy-going, no pressure gettogether, a bit of time away from the virus.

Geoff, no need to sing.

The wonderful @AgentPete will be honouring us with his presence. I dare you all to try beat his toilet roll decorating skills.

To join simply turn up by following this link.

Meeting URL

That's it. See you there.
I'll be there :D Can't keep an Irish girl with a hefty dram of Scottish added in away from a good party!

We thought we'd play a few light-hearted games, some fun tasks, or whatevers ... These are just a few ideas. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Word association, in the style of (very British reference coming) Mallett's Mallet:

I have to say, I’ll be deeply disappointed if @Geoff doesn’t sing!!

Do you think you could bribe him with cake?

I'm rather hoping @Geoff will sing, too.

I am deeply moved, but if you heard my singing. you would understand why I don't sing very often.
However, in the spirit of Litopia, I will sing (well make a vocal noise) if others do too. :) How about a song from the country / city of resident / origin?

How about a song from the country / city of resident / origin?
I hope the guys from Scotland will propose "Auld Lang Syne" and those from Ireland "Cockles and Mussels"... If you like I'll sing "Santa Lucia"... but I warn you, bring your ear plugs. A better suggestion is: does anyone know anything from the Gilbert and Sullivan's operas? I know most of them. :D :musical-score::guitar::drum:

I've bribed my husband. I can come. He got Chinese, lol! So I can listen to the singing :) I have a good excuse not to sing, lol! Remember to watch the chat function on the top right to see if I chat. It fades until you move your mouse, so just knock your mouse to see if there's a red dot :)

I've bribed my husband. I can come. He got Chinese, lol! So I can listen to the singing :) I have a good excuse not to sing, lol! Remember to watch the chat function on the top right to see if I chat. It fades until you move your mouse, so just knock your mouse to see if there's a red dot :)
Excellent news!!

This time of the year is the start of the rainy season here which means storms which means power cuts when the rickety wooden pylons fall over. Hopefully, all will be ok but if anyone asks me to sing it may induce an instant power cut!!. I will definitely not be singing. Sorry but I really do not want to ruin the get-together :)

3rd to join the silent choir here.

There are two things I don't do unless I am well under the influence.

One is sing - although I have been in bands over the years and sing on gigs and on recordings too. But as a kid I became almost phobic about singing on my own (bad experience in school with an 'orrible teacher) even though I can sing quite well. Yeah, I'm modest too :)

The other is dance. I even had to be crowbarred out of my seat and onto the parquet at our nuptials. Mrs Jonny was not too best pleased.

Having a toilet roll crises here.

Firstly, I discovered it was Thursday: where did a Tuesday and Wednesday go?

Secondly, for the first time IN MY LIFE I’ve run out of glue (and sellotape) Our little local shop is obviously trying to mess with my head, because, apart from the APPALLING selection of limp veggies they are offering, they are out of glue and sellotape too.
This decorated toilet roll challenge is proving more challenging than expected :eek::eek:

(mine may be an au natural roll)

Having a toilet roll crises here.

Firstly, I discovered it was Thursday: where did a Tuesday and Wednesday go?

Secondly, for the first time IN MY LIFE I’ve run out of glue (and sellotape) Our little local shop is obviously trying to mess with my head, because, apart from the APPALLING selection of limp veggies they are offering, they are out of glue and sellotape too.
This decorated toilet roll challenge is proving more challenging than expected :eek::eek:

(mine may be an au natural roll)
Do you have pencils? Or get the dog to chew it.

I’ve a plan (and a six year old who is insisting on helping me implement “The Plan”). Could be interesting... could involve wire and bits of... garden bits. Could involve needing to be rescued before the day is out :) :) (damnit, I can’t even run away, no one will have me)

We'd all want you! Just climb into a brown box, add a few stamps and post yourself to one of us. Shall we draw lots for who gets Emily and her cake tins?

Thanks for the invite – I'll definitely be there. We're due clouds and heavy rain, which might make the connection a bit dodgy, but I'll see how it goes. I'm expecting great things of this toilet roll of yours, Emily! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondering about this Saturday, April 25th?

Book Review: Seal Skin

Back