Third or first person pov (or second)

Fanfare! Short story, 'Another's Place', accepted....

Never mind! Found it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
I've written my first series in the first person pov. And now I'm afraid I don't think it works for the market I am aiming for. All the adventure series I've looked at are in third person.

How do you decide which pov to take?

Btw I feel a bit rusty conversing here...haven't done it in a while. But I'm back at my desk ready to converse. Monologues count don't they:p

The writing in third person seems stronger. I may need a few kind guinea pigs to test it out on.:oops:

I think it depends on the story. There are some questions you need to answer first to work in conjunction with what POV to use: what tense are you using (present, past); and how close would the third be (close/limited, omniscient)? Some stories feel better in third, others in first. Me personally, I'm not really a fan of first person if it's combined with present tense (i.e. every YA novel these days). But I don't mind first person itself as it brings me closer to the main character. I think first works well if you only have one POV character. Third works better if you have multiple. All of my stories are multiple POVs, so I use close third (head-hopping/omniscient within scenes is hard for me to follow). (These are not hard and fast rules, just my thoughts.)

Second person is its own unique category. You've really got to have a strong reason for writing in second. I have one short story that's in second person, but only because it's sort of an instructional story. I don't know how well it would work for a novel as I've never seen one.

Some good advice I got from Steve Berry (historical thriller author) is first person is the closest you can bring your reader to the character. The "I" makes the reader truly place themselves inside the character. "Him/her/they" (third) still works really well, but it's just a tad bit more distant. Using the name of your character furthers the reader from the character more (because they likely aren't the name of that character).

I am using past tense.

Would the market not be a factor in consideration? my 8-12 years books are mainly third person past tense.

Also as I right in third person I like the flexibility it gives to potentially give a different point of view. Although again for my market one point of view is enough.

I just can't believe I have to go through the whole MS again. At least, if anything, it will (hopefully) strengthen it.

Yes the market is a consideration. What are the books in your market written as? What is the age group you're aiming for? All of these things should be taken into consideration.

And also everything Nicole said. :)

I honestly have no clue how market affects which POV to use. As there are a lot of YA books with first person out there and a lot of adult books with third, there might be a trend, but I'm not sure.

Yes..MG is just before YA and it is almost always in third person past tense.

I've not seen it any other way.

Guess that's my answer. I'll admit that it is helping me with the editing and adding a layer of description to the novel.

I let the story dictate the pov but I prefer third person omniscient. I can get more description that way; letting the reader see and hear everything the mc can't or doesn't. If most other books for your market are in a different pov, then I would conduct some personal research on readers in your age group, to see what they would prefer. Or perhaps ask the opinion of an editor for your age range, someone who understands your market.

If you like it as it is, then don't change a thing, unless you have to :)

I let the story dictate the pov but I prefer third person omniscient. I can get more description that way; letting the reader see and hear everything the mc can't or doesn't. If most other books for your market are in a different pov, then I would conduct some personal research on readers in your age group, to see what they would prefer. Or perhaps ask the opinion of an editor for your age range, someone who understands your market.

If you like it as it is, then don't change a thing, unless you have to :)

Yes, I completely agree with you. The third person allows the author to provide extra eyes for the reader. My MS was deemed weak because (amongst other factors - I'm sure) it lacked a layer or two of depth. I can't do it in first person because I am a 12 year old writing it from my limited perspective as I see it.

Having taken myself out of first person i feel less imprisoned and able to add the layers that this MS might need.

Yup that's how I feel about it. I can write first person quite well, so I'm told, but it feels un-natural to me. Third is where I stay with my feet firmly planted.

Yup that's how I feel about it. I can write first person quite well, so I'm told, but it feels un-natural to me. Third is where I stay with my feet firmly planted.

I really need to write some more. I can't wait to get to my first 100k word mark - I tell ya'. It will help me familiar myself better with my strengths and weaknesses.

We discussed something in college in my Video Game Art degree program that also applies here very well — first person (camera / narrative) promotes immersion; over-the-shoulder (or in this case third person) promotes identification. Do you want the reader to see the story as if it they saw it with their own eyes, or is it more important to watch your character struggle?

For my part, I prefer third-limited — I generally follow a single character exclusively, which allows for identification and empathy, and also for the narration and the character's thoughts and voice to blend together in interesting ways.

And while there are certainly traditions regarding genre, age group, and literary perspective as Carol asserts, I think both she and Jennifer are correct, in that the story must also dictate its own parameters, and a happy medium must be sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Short story, 'Another's Place', accepted....

Never mind! Found it! :)

Back