Book Review: The Scapegoat (2012)

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monarch

Basic
Feb 15, 2020
Louisville, KY
rZmjnz5YOnsnOb7B637qSolGSLq.jpg

Title: The Scapegoat

Director: Charles Sturridge

Cast: Andrew Scott, Jodhi May, Eileen Atkins, Matthew Rhys, Sheridan Smith, Phoebe Nicholls, Anton Lesser, Eloise Webb, Pip Torrens, Ian Mercer, Julian Wadham, Richard Ridings

Release: 2012-09-09

Runtime: 100

Plot: Set in 1952, as England prepares for the coronation, The Scapegoat tells the story of two very different men who have one thing in common - a face.

I streamed this movie on Netflix and absolutely loved it, in fact, so much so that it's become one of my all-time favorites. I've subsequently read the novel of the same name by Daphne Du Maurier, and although I enjoyed it, I was disappointed with the book's ending. This British adaptation moves the scene from France to the England of 1952, in the time between the death of George VI and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. Besides a great story, beautiful period sets, and mesmerizing characters, the screenwriter has incorporated this period between monarchs into the film both symbolically (a house without a head-of-household) and actually (see the movie!) to produce an ending that is an absolute coup (no pun intended.) My opinion? Not to be missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Back