Book Review: The Revenant (2015)

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
oXUWEc5i3wYyFnL1Ycu8ppxxPvs.jpg

Title: The Revenant (2015)

Tagline: (n. One who has returned, as if from the dead.)

Genre: Western, Drama, Adventure, Thriller

Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Will Poulter, Domhnall Gleeson, Paul Anderson, Brad Carter, Kristoffer Joner, Lukas Haas, Brendan Fletcher, Joshua Burge, Robert Moloney, Grace Dove, Timothy Lyle, Kory Grim, Forrest Goodluck, Duane Howard, Arthur RedCloud, Vincent Leclerc, Emmanuel Bilodeau

Release: 2015-12-25

Runtime: 156

Plot: In the 1820s, a frontiersman, Hugh Glass, sets out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead after a bear mauling.

I'm not sorry I watched it, but I wouldn't watch it again in a hurry if at all. It is so grimly relentless, unrelievedly sad and dispiriting. Worth watching for the landscape, and for the truth that love is the joy in life, and that life can lose its value. Glass doesn't care if he lives or dies. He just wants to get the man who killed his son. He doesn't care what happens next, and that's as near invincible as you can get.

Haven't seen it, but my dad thought it was a great movie, even though I think it took him days to process (something about a bear attack I think?) :)

Glass is mauled by a mother bear with two cubs. Terrifying scenes. She trees them first for their safety,bless her, and comes back and nearly kills him in a repeated attack, and he kills her which is horribly sad, but what else was he going to do.

Katie-Ellen, you're accurate in describing The Revenant as "grimly relentless"...it's one of the most joyless films I've ever watched. Tremendously well-made, with several surprises, it might just be the worst first date film choice ever!

Yeah saw it a while ago ... its not bad ... worth catching in the cinema for the sheer physicality of the film ... in the end I was a bit underwhelmed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Back