The Observer Effect

Writers' Workshop event: Getting Published Day

Facebook Ads: One Author’s Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Just wow. So sorry you witnessed that! We do block a lot of what we can't deal with as kids. I remember blurting out to my best friend in high school that my dad was cheating on my mom, and then had no idea where that came from (though I knew in my gut it was true). I still can't remember any specific things that I saw or heard, but when, 12 years later he had another affair, my mom mentioned that it wasn't the first time. I said, "yeah, I know".

But as for paranormal events, I've seen so many real live badass things...If I were to see a ghost, I'd be like, "Yeah, um, 'scuse me, but you're blocking my view of those wolves...d'ya mind?" or "Hey, will ya back off...I'm up to my elbows in this goat's uterus, trying to untangle her kids...I don't have time for the supernatural...kinda up to my eyeballs in the natural." ;)
Gross.

Because existence is predicated upon observation — if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it, it both made noise and did not make noise, because it at once has both fallen and not fallen, until it is observed upon the ground, and its possibility curve collapses to zero and it remains in a fallen state.

Now, as you know this isn't true of such large accumulations of subatomic particles as trees, but in a quantum sense this is actually accurate.

I did however once see a car and the man driving it vanish from existence in front of me, as I pulled up to a stop light. 100% serious.

TC Lethbridge observed that phenomenon...in his case it was a 'ghost' bus. He had a theory about that. Anyone interested, look up what he said about 'naiad fields'; it may also apply to some other kinds of occurrence mentioned on the thread. He was an archaeologist by training. Read him and you know you are dealing with an extraordinarily intuitive but disciplined, TRAINED mind. None of which makes any of this the less fascinating or mysterious, and these kind of things happen to the most sensible people. It is all part of the natural.

Add: perhaps my most extraordinary experience ever was in broad daylight, in a city centre, when I was on my way to a work appointment. It was a ghost; a man who had just died, minutes earlier, and was extremely shocked at having dropped dead in the street, poor soul.

Last edited:
Add: perhaps my most extraordinary experience ever was in broad daylight, in a city centre, when I was on my way to a work appointment. It was a ghost; a man who had just died, minutes earlier, and was extremely shocked at having dropped dead in the street, poor soul.

That's quite sad. Imagine seeing ones body being cremated! Yep..that just entered my head.

Many people, surprisingly, are sensitive to the 'unseen'. I am not, but am open to the opinion that some are. Those of us that aren't can still encounter paranormal activities..think objects moving. Have had a couple of those experiences. But I try not to think about it. Freaks me out.

Recently I needed to refer to a music review which I wrote some years ago for a very early on-line Arts magazine in Australia. No, said I to myself, I will not find it; it will have gone into cyber-infinity. But not so. The review was still there although the early magazine has become transformed into a blog site. I mentioned the fact to a friend who told me that the last time she "googled" herself she came up with nearly 40,000 entries.

Schrödinger's cat is often misconstrued. The cat in the box is not either dead or alive, but in a bizarre state of being every possible state it can be simultaneously, in this case both dead and alive, and only when we look in the box does the system collapses to a single state. It's the act of looking that makes it happen.

I think an analogy could be that each of us as a person has many different states e.g roles/moods etc. which change from one moment to the next. When we put a comment up on the internet or a photo on FB, it only shows one aspect of ourselves at that time and not the full picture. Observation does not tell us as much as we think it does.

Now for something serious: cute bunnies.

I baggsie the second one. :)

That's good, Sea-shore - I mean the reference to the single state, not the bunnies, which I hope are just fluffy toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writers' Workshop event: Getting Published Day

Facebook Ads: One Author’s Experience

Back