The novella -- alive or just undead?

Free books for life

Do you dig these covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
I was pleased to see the below at a Waterstone's branch the other day. But a closer look seemed to suggest that most of the works were by dead authors. Not sure if this means the novella is alive, undead, or not dead but sleeping.

Attachments

• oct 016 001.jpg
    oct 016 001.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
Novellas and short stories are back in demand, owing to people reading in small chunks from their iPhones while commuting and taking a coffee break.

In France, they're giving stories away for free, printed on long paper tickets, like supermarket receipts.

How a City in France Got the World’s First Short-Story Vending Machines - The New Yorker

Short-%C3%89dition-vending-machinet.jpg

I am not sure the short story or novella were ever the 'undead' so I don't understand why you are saying that. I am currently reading through the Oxford Library of Classic English Short Stories, which can only be described as pure literary joy. Very soon we will be assailed by a short/story novella that will seem to be everywhere - Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

The short story is dead, long live the short story!

They were / are the undead because, as a rule, mainstream publishers won't touch them with a bargepole. Unless, as I point out above, they are reprints of well-known works by dead authors.

Novellas and short stories are back in demand, owing to people reading in small chunks from their iPhones while commuting and taking a coffee break.

In France, they're giving stories away for free, printed on long paper tickets, like supermarket receipts.

How a City in France Got the World’s First Short-Story Vending Machines - The New Yorker

Short-%C3%89dition-vending-machinet.jpg
That would be perfect! My daughter loves to read grocery receipts aloud in the back of the car. (she reads them quite dramatically, too...)

They were / are the undead because, as a rule, mainstream publishers won't touch them with a bargepole. Unless, as I point out above, they are reprints of well-known works by dead authors.

Have you seen these? If you keep an eye on supermarket bookshelves you will most likely see these cropping up in a lot of them. James Patterson at 150 pages or less - BookShots Patterson is a huge seller and frequently 'collaborates' with other writers. So in one form or another novellas are still being published.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free books for life

Do you dig these covers?

Back