The Do's and Don'ts broken with magnificent effect.

Gollancz: Novel Submission Opportunity, January 2016

Greetings from beautiful New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chase Gamwell ok, you convinced me, I'me gona look at the X-Wing trillogy, partly because I love the lego x-wing, and my boy might get into them if I can wrench him away from minecraft.

No one got my 'game of thongs' joke?

Trilogy? It's ten books total. HAVE FUN! :p

Also...
temp.jpg

I am aware of that. I was only referencing a historical fact. I'm sure you're also aware that Tolkien came to hate his fanship, as he had hippies calling him long distance and waking him un in the middle of the night to tell him what they thought about the "weed".

My point had been, yes, Tolkien broke the hell out of the rules, and now we stand in awe of the success of his work despite that, but at the time, it was drop-kicked into bargain bins and largely forgotten about for a generation.
Huh. You know what — H.P. Lovecraft in all his kitschy, unimaginably-nightmarishly-mind-bending verbosity languored in obscurity until a good thirty years after his death, as well.

More just about trends and tastes, I think? And the mercurial nature of the zeitgeist?

After all, it took that long for a sort of cultural momentum to build into fanship around these guys, forgiving Tolkien's "broken rules (really just glaring mistakes made by a rank amateur) and Lovecraft's reams of purple prose and horrid, horrid arrogance and racism for the genius ideas hidden within.
YOU'RE racist!

Sorry. Yes, that's exactly right. Like how the 70's-style is coming back into vogue. It takes a while for "bad" to become "cute."

Ever heard "cute" used in the context of Cthulhu?

That just happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gollancz: Novel Submission Opportunity, January 2016

Greetings from beautiful New Jersey

Back