The Business Of Being A Writer

The Night Circus

Lockdown shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
All of us need advice from time to time and there are plenty of handbooks on writing & publishing to give it. We've looked at some of them before.

I've acquired about fifty of them over the years. I've had my eye on one by Jane Friedman for a while on eBay and Amazon, but it holds its price well. She's one of the best writing gurus around and I recommend her website and newsletter Electric Speed.

iu

After missing a copy of her latest book The Business Of Being A Writer for a mere eight quid (drat!), I decided to pony up the full asking price of sixteen pounds. After all, 2020 is meant to be the year that I turn from writing new stories to flogging what I've already written. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Business-Chicago-Writing-Editing-Publishing

Few authors are natural sales executives, so finding a book that guides you though the sometimes murky business of publishing is reassuring. Jane Friedman knows her stuff. Take a look at the Contents Page by clicking on Look Inside
One curious thing about the book is how the cover feels, which is unpapery...more like stroking the back of a baby hippo!

iu

That eBook is $30 in Australia - and that's so over the top that I can't consider a purchase (we never actually own the thing, it's a loaner from the app-owner) ... however, you could do a discussion on the value, maybe, so we can decide whether this purchase would be a waste or a weapon in the writer's pocket

I'm about halfway through reading it. Jane Friedman's advice is up to date, practical and honest. Writers of all levels of experience would learn something useful from it. I never buy new books, but this one was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Night Circus

Lockdown shorts

Back