Amusement The books that scare the writers of scary books...

November's Flash Club is now open

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateESal

May 5, 2018
Spain
Happy Hallowe'en, fellow writers!

Here are the books that spooked certain horror authors

I've read my fair share of horror books in my time, but the two books which gave me nightmares weren't from the horror genre:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

James Herbert and Poppy Z. Brite both have a reliable YUCK factor.

Which books have scared you silly?

So fantastic, that film. Epic.

'Cujo' scared me. I was scared for the mother and her son. How would I get myself and my child out of that situation? But I was also scared for the monster-dog, poor, rabid Cujo, just like I was supposed to be.

One chapter heading went roughly something like this

My dog Blue died
He died so hard
He shook the ground
In my back yard
You good dog, Blue
You good dog, you

Two books that scared me: The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson - a bit of pulp horror but written in such a factual style that it felt true. And the other one is not a scary book: one of Janny Wurtz's impenetrable Wars of Light and Shadow series. I think it might have been Traitor's Knot, but I don't remember the exact book. One of the protagonists is being drained of blood in a necromantic ritual and I almost fainted during the scene. (It was a hot day and I was standing on a crowded train at the time, which might have had something to do with it.)

Ew, @Dan Payne ....

There's a scene in Broken Angels by Richard Morgan, which is particularly unpleasant and is graphically described. Falls in the same category as the one you mention. Seriously ick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

November's Flash Club is now open

Greetings

Back