The Best Thriller I ever read (not quite)

Good Horror Writing

Ethics and the Novelist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another launderette find, and another rich seam. Lionel Davidson. How had I missed him in all my years? Anyway, I read the foreword by Philip Pullman (never heard of him but research suggests he's quite eminent in the literary world). OK, I'm a Philistine, but moving on, Mr Pullman says that 'Kolymsky Heights' is the best thriller he's ever read.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say that myself, in fact I'd be hard-pressed to choose. However, Mr Pullman's foreword was very instructive as he deconstructed the genre - that of the Quest - backed up by deep research.
Davidson certainly did that well.

Of course, the genre 'thriller' spans such a range (I still vividly remember reading 'The Haunting of Hill House' (Shirley Jackson)) when a teenager, but that was no quest. So much was in my imagination.

For those who enjoy thrillers I'd recommend it.

What is the best thriller you've ever read?

I read Kolymsky Heights, many years ago and enjoyed it. Lionel Davidson creates believable characters, who the reader empathises with—much as John Buchan did—he's best known for The Thirty-Nine Steps. Davidson's reputation has faded with time, demonstrating the curse of genre writing.

Some of my favourite authors are consigned to the thriller genre, but their writing powers are the equal of so-called literary authors; try reading James Lee Burke.

One of my favourite thrillers, which I've read several times, is by prolific British novelist Geoffrey Household. Rogue Male was presciently published in 1939 and has a plot featuring a hunter stalking an unnamed European dictator. He gets the despot in his sights but does so for the thrill of the stalk. He's arrested by the guards, but escapes and returns to England. Pursued by a hitman, he literally goes to ground to escape.

He's aided by a feral cat, who he christens Bastet. As a tribute to Household, I've given the protagonist of my WIP An Elegant Murder a semi-wild farm cat that he also calls Bastet. Rogue Male has been filmed well on two occasions. Once as Man Hunt, with WalterPidgeon, and again in 1976 by the BBC starring Peter O'Toole. Happily, the BBC version is available on Youtube. It's very British and has a timeless message about the fight against tyranny, and the little man's powerlessness against the establishment.

250px-RT_19760918_Rogue_Male.jpg

I read Kolymsky Heights, many years ago and enjoyed it. Lionel Davidson creates believable characters, who the reader empathises with—much as John Buchan did—he's best known for The Thirty-Nine Steps. Davidson's reputation has faded with time, demonstrating the curse of genre writing.

Some of my favourite authors are consigned to the thriller genre, but their writing powers are the equal of so-called literary authors; try reading James Lee Burke.
I've read many of James Lee Burke's novels. Realistic characters with many frailties. Very evocative of Louisians and Montana (though I've never visited either). I still remember his description of the cemetery in New Orleans. Now dead and buried I guess! Strangely, I was looking at his website today. It's a good rule to write about what you know, and he does that superbly. As do Ian Rankin (did) and Stuart McBride.

'Consigned to the thriller genre'. Sounds like a death sentence.

I'd have to go with all of Buchan's Hannay books. The 39 Steps is good, but what follows is even more gripping, partly because one knows the protagonist better and better.

Greenmantle is rarely mentioned these days because of its perceived anti-Islamic slant but has a fabulous trifold plot following the three main protagonists as they criss-cross Europe to meet in Istanbul for the denouement.
Mr Standfast is sensational with a plot that covers the shires, Middle England, Glasgow, the western isles, the whole spine of Britain, and then Switzerland with espionage, counter plots, reincarnated villains, a daring escape, an even more daring rock climb, and tear jerking fatalities at the end. My fave.
The Three Hostages is more of a cerebral thriller, dabbling in hypnosis.
The Island of Sheep is another roller-coaster adventure spanning London, a car chase up England, the Borders, and then a large chunk of time in and around the Faroes. Two children heros to boot. And a gory climax.

Read it and weep, Dan Brown!

Read it and weep, Dan Brown!

Do you think, that writers like Dan Brown, E L James, Stephenie Meyer or the crass Jeffery Archer, who have best-selling novels, care that they are criticised for their lack of literary abilities?

That's not a facetious question, for however loved they are by fans of their books and lauded by the publishers they make wealthy, I wonder if they have deep-seated anxieties that their skills are lacking. Is it better to be a best-selling writer or a best writing author?

Perhaps, piles of money act as an anaesthetic for any pain they feel that they're mere hacks who got lucky with a formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Horror Writing

Ethics and the Novelist

Back