that's it... the world has gone to pot

Leonora's 2-book deal formally announced

Procrastination is the thief of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Language is fluid. Think of how people used to speak 100 years ago. 50 years ago, even. It's different than now. Do I like it that people can't use a freaking apostrophe the right way? No. I think it's absurd. But that's because I understand them and a lot of people do not. I don't know why. It's still taught in school, right? But that doesn't mean anything. So is complex math and I can't understand anything beyond simple geometry and algebra. :) We all have our skills, right?

Language is fluid. Think of how people used to speak 100 years ago. 50 years ago, even. It's different than now. Do I like it that people can't use a freaking apostrophe the right way? No. I think it's absurd. But that's because I understand them and a lot of people do not. I don't know why. It's still taught in school, right? But that doesn't mean anything. So is complex math and I can't understand anything beyond simple geometry and algebra. :) We all have our skills, right?
I have an old cassette tape of something called Changing English, in which the presenter read out the same passage from the Bible in the language of King Alfred, Chaucer and Shakespeare (there might have been others, but I can't remember). The tape was in sections: The Sound of English, Present and Future, Accents and Attitude, the Sound of English Outside GB, Fashions in Words, and New words. If I had the technology I'd transfer it onto a cd. It was wonderful.

I only get cross when it's people who should know better. I don't mind if the grocers has Carrot's on his sign – just so long as the carrots are good. But when I see magazines (and websites) purporting to be professional, which have apostrophes round the wrong way (because they don't know how to figure out Microsoft Word), in the wrong place or not at all then I want to kick their ankles. And then the rest of them. :)

I only get cross when it's people who should know better. I don't mind if the grocers has Carrot's on his sign – just so long as the carrots are good. But when I see magazines (and websites) purporting to be professional, which have apostrophes round the wrong way (because they don't know how to figure out Microsoft Word), in the wrong place or not at all then I want to kick their ankles. And then the rest of them. :)
My mum worked in a cafe for many years and they had 'Can of Larger- £1.25' on the chalk board. It bothered me every time I went in there, after school. They gave me free chips and cola. I just left it.

I have noticed quite a few individuals and organisations that offer help to Indie authors - copy editing and such - and their websites/blogs are full of boo-boos. A tad off-putting when they are offering their services for £££.

I have noticed quite a few individuals and organisations that offer help to Indie authors - copy editing and such - and their websites/blogs are full of boo-boos. A tad off-putting when they are offering their services for £££.
I see it all the time. I'm into classic cars, and some of the articles in hobbyist magazines are practically unreadable. My wife works in PR, and she's always showing me crap press releases that somebody has paid good money for.

Oh, and I'll give you one more example that's been killing me (not literally), and then I'll shut up forever, because I could go on and on and on...ad nauseam: I've noticed that some people (largely grunting thickos on Facebook) seem to be using 'his' when they should be using 'he's'. Example: 'Your son has grown.' 'Yes, his getting bigger everyday.' I know language is evolving, but what the heck is that all about?

Example: 'Your son has grown.' 'Yes, his getting bigger everyday.' I know language is evolving, but what the heck is that all about?
It's about sheer laziness and an arrogant indifference to accurate communication. Not the evolution of language, the bastardisation of it. You're right, there are so many examples. We could go mad thinking about them :)

Oh, and I'll give you one more example that's been killing me (not literally), and then I'll shut up forever, because I could go on and on and on...ad nauseam: I've noticed that some people (largely grunting thickos on Facebook) seem to be using 'his' when they should be using 'he's'. Example: 'Your son has grown.' 'Yes, his getting bigger everyday.' I know language is evolving, but what the heck is that all about?
Autocorrect may be behind this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonora's 2-book deal formally announced

Procrastination is the thief of time.

Back