That Crafty Feeling

Using a Song

In Praise of Naples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
I took a break from creative writing over the festivities, mulling over the progress of my second novel and jotting down any ideas that came to me. Recharging my batteries seems to have helped my enthusiasm, after what was a dispiriting year of querying 150 agents and editing manuscripts. It's as well to remember that what we do in creating stories isn't a sprint, but more of a marathon with obstacle courses thrown in!

While reading about writing over New Year, I found this lovely lecture by Zadie Smith called That Crafty Feeling. It was originally given to the students of Columbia University’s writing programme in New York on Monday 24th March 2008. The brief: “to speak about some aspect of your craft.”

http://irmadriessen.nl/publicaties/that-crafty-feeling-zadie-smith/

There's an excerpt of her reading from her lecture here:

It's worth a few minutes of your time to read. I recognised much of what she says about the relationship a writer has with their book. She uses the terms 'Micro Planners' and 'Macro Planners' to differentiate between the two main types of writers, more commonly known as 'Pantsers' and 'Planners'. I'm definitely a Micro Planner or Pantser, though I do make vague plans on scraps of paper to guide my plotting.

I am at her 'step away from the vehicle' stage with my first novel, which I completed a year ago. It's been a valuable period of reconsideration, and I'm glad that I didn't rush to self-publish it.

zadie-smith.jpg

Really interesting. I'm a micro - which is a word I like must better than pantser.

Everytime I hear someone call themselves a pantser I can't help thinking of Captain Underpants - a series of books my son HAD to read.

I'm going to print out her article (speech?).

I love Paul's posts. The topics you come up with is lateral-like. In fact i think also a manual for a writer's bible if put together.

I am definitely a macro planner. For some reason if I can't see my destination I simply refuse to take that first step forward. I just won't budge. My life story in many ways. If i can't see the end in sight, whether it's a story, a journey or even a career, i just self sabotage and go to square one. I'd like to take a leaf out of the pants book. :D

I have been guilty of pantsing and it got the ball rolling. But I don't approve of myself, because it was such a long way round, in the end. And I don't like the word 'pants', anyway. Or 'underpants.' And 'panties' are just the worst. Knickers or knicks. Zadie Smith puts it all so well, as one would expect, and I can just imagine why she feels sick when someone tells her they have read 'White Teeth', and this, despite her having been only 21 when she wrote it; which goes to show she is a devoted writer. Those who set out after The Grail, are, by their own vision and inner standards, always likely to feel they have failed, no matter whether they succeed or not, and regardless of what anyone else says.

Really interesting. I'm a micro - which is a word I like must better than pantser.

Everytime I hear someone call themselves a pantser I can't help thinking of Captain Underpants - a series of books my son HAD to read.

I'm going to print out her article (speech?).
Lol yes! @ captain underpants. Haha!

I have been guilty of pantsing and it got the ball rolling. But I don't approve of myself, because it was such a long way round, in the end. And I don't like the word 'pants', anyway. Or 'underpants.' And 'panties' are just the worst. Knickers or knicks. Zadie Smith puts it all so well, as one would expect, and I can just imagine why she feels sick when someone tells her they have read 'White Teeth', and this, despite her having been only 21 when she wrote it; which goes to show she is a devoted writer. Those who set out after The Grail, are, by their own vision and inner standards, always likely to feel they have failed, no matter whether they succeed or not, and regardless of what anyone else says.

I thought pants was referring to pantaloons...trousers...outer garments rather than inner. ..or under..:oops::p

I thought pants was referring to pantaloons...trousers...outer garments rather than inner. ..or under..:oops::p

Writers ask one another if they are plotters or pantsers they same way people used to ask one another what their sign was in the 70s. I swear if I have to listen to someone explain the very particular requirements they have as a pantser OR a plotter one more time... I will scream.

Although I did enjoy READING the article you posted. :)

Knickers, that has got to be pure British? ;)

There was a rhyme populer when I was in school.

'ooh, ahh, i lost my bra, I left my knickers in my boyfriends car'

Paul, thanks for this post, I think I am in the middle of my novel and still enjoying it.

I am out of work at the moment, so I understand the process of sitting down and not realising 3 hours have passed before looking at the clock, and it is a lovely feeling.

I took a break from creative writing over the festivities, mulling over the progress of my second novel and jotting down any ideas that came to me. Recharging my batteries seems to have helped my enthusiasm, after what was a dispiriting year of querying 150 agents and editing manuscripts. It's as well to remember that what we do in creating stories isn't a sprint, but more of a marathon with obstacle courses thrown in!

While reading about writing over New Year, I found this lovely lecture by Zadie Smith called That Crafty Feeling. It was originally given to the students of Columbia University’s writing programme in New York on Monday 24th March 2008. The brief: “to speak about some aspect of your craft.”

http://irmadriessen.nl/publicaties/that-crafty-feeling-zadie-smith/

There's an excerpt of her reading from her lecture here:

It's worth a few minutes of your time to read. I recognised much of what she says about the relationship a writer has with their book. She uses the terms 'Micro Planners' and 'Macro Planners' to differentiate between the two main types of writers, more commonly known as 'Pantsers' and 'Planners'. I'm definitely a Micro Planner or Pantser, though I do make vague plans on scraps of paper to guide my plotting.

I am at her 'step away from the vehicle' stage with my first novel, which I completed a year ago. It's been a valuable period of reconsideration, and I'm glad that I didn't rush to self-publish it.

zadie-smith.jpg

I think I am in "the middle of my book period" as Zadie Smith describes here, as it feels the universe is helping me to make my writing better (or could just be my brain is deranged from lack of sleep :D). Peter's First Page free seminar was invaluable and now Writing Excuses Season 11. Anyone been listening to that? I think it will help any writer think a bit more deeply about their writing.

www.writingexcuses.com

I think I am in "the middle of my book period" as Zadie Smith describes here, as it feels the universe is helping me to make my writing better (or could just be my brain is deranged from lack of sleep :D). Peter's First Page free seminar was invaluable and now Writing Excuses Season 11. Anyone been listening to that? I think it will help any writer think a bit more deeply about their writing.

www.writingexcuses.com
My husband loves that podcast! We found it through Brandon Sanderson (a fantasy author and one of the podcasters), and Michael really enjoys that. :)

Yes! Same here..though his relentless wheezing, coughing and then handing out gummi bears to participants made me thankful of being on the other side of youtube!

LOL. Yes agreed. Take a look at the Season 11 Writing Excuses though as it has something exciting and different from the previous years podcasts: Elemental Genre!

What do you think?

Last edited:

www.writingexcuses.com

(Sorry if I sound like an annoying over-enthusiastic noob! :))

You never sound like a noob. :)

I'm trying to listen to it then my headphones stopped working mysteriously. They're an enthusiastic bunch aren't they :D

Thank you, but you seem to agree I sound annoying and over-enthusiastic. :D I'll go away now. :)

Yes, the enthusiasm is infectious! I think it's your connection playing up again.:(

There was a rhyme populer when I was in school.

'ooh, ahh, i lost my bra, I left my knickers in my boyfriends car'

Paul, thanks for this post, I think I am in the middle of my novel and still enjoying it.

I am out of work at the moment, so I understand the process of sitting down and not realising 3 hours have passed before looking at the clock, and it is a lovely feeling.
You can always tell when a little ditty like that came from the UK, when "bra" rhymes with "car."

Like, I had no idea Rita Skeeter had such a lyrical quality in Harry Potter 4, until I watched the movie. Being a Yank, I read it as Reetuh Skeeterrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Using a Song

In Praise of Naples

Back