Help! Submitting a funding application

K

Full Manuscript Request?

Help! Quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AuthorOfLast

Hello! I'm trying to write a submission to Creative Scotland to request a open project grant towards writing my book series. They ask a bunch of questions about my expenditure/expenses. I am super confused! Would anyone be willing to read it over with me and make suggestions for what to write?

I wish I could help, but I've never applied for something like this before. I suppose you could count some household expenses towards it, if writing is your sole occupation, or you're on a low wage, then I guess you'll need help paying bills. There should be a phone number to ring if you get stuck, the organizers might be able to answer your questions.

My answer's the same as Jen's. The other folk you could speak to would be the advice shop. In Greenock we have inverclyde many matters (I think that's what it's called) you can call for advice or see them face to face. Citizen's advice will have the number for one local to you xx

I expect they need [you] to jump through some hoops before they release any money. I imagine you will need to specify and quantify any costs you incur, or think you will incur, directly related to writing your books. So you will need to identify and add up costs of all the expenditure directly related to writing, over the entire period you expect to be writing. These probably will vary according to exactly what you are writing, but could include the following:
  • research [e.g. travel to library, membership of library, purchase of books, purchase of internet access, phone calls, other travel]
  • writing [e.g. paper, printing]
  • if you work from home, a component of the costs incurred in making sure you have a health/safety-compliant environment - appropriate desk/chair, heating, lighting, etc
I very much doubt if they will consider paying for items such as capital expenses [e.g. laptop, printer]; and probably they will only pay for the heating / lighting component of costs if you can show you weren't going to be at home anyway. If in doubt, add it in; they can only say no, and anyway it is good negotiating practice to give the other party something they can say 'no' to, without it affecting you too much.

You should include your salary and definitely include capital costs like a pc. I used to apply for funding grants and sponsorship but unfortunately I can't promise to give any time to help due to writing my novel. :( sorry.

But their helpline should answer all your questions better than any outsider.

Main thing is to persist with it- even if you get to the aaaaargh! stage. Good luck.

Thanks for the help everyone!
I would have been talking sooner but I forgot my password for a while.
I feel like I have been in the argh! Phase already, since my ex was my soul editor for many years. Long story short -.- he was terrible at it!
The aaaaargh! Phase seems like the next step :)
I will consider the comments and suggestions for the writing of the application. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Full Manuscript Request?

Help! Quick question...

Back