Stereotyped Bodies

Amusement It's not just me....

26 Writing Conferences in September 2020 (most held online)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Although I tend to give the bare minimum of detail when describing a character's physical appearance, I found this article thought-provoking:

The Physical Traits that Define Men and Women in Literature

iu

I mention thumbs a number of times in the memoir I'm writing, but I don't think it skews according to gender. At one point a male character gives a "thumbs up", but in a few instances female characters are using their thumbs to hitchhike. I'm rather fond of mentioning thumbs, actually.

I agree about lazy descriptive writing (although, the fairy description in the Rothfuss novel was of a character who was supposed to embody stereotypical desirable (to men) female characteristics). I tend to go for eyes, smiles and hair (and height) for male and female characters. In my children's novels, I have male and female MC:, she's taller and tougher, while he's smaller and quieter. I deliberately wanted to subvert some of the typical m/f stereotypes and I also deliberately gave both characters androgynous names. As an author, I like deliberately messing with stereotypes where possible, not so much to challenge the reader, but because I think characters are more interesting and engaging if they don't conform to type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement It's not just me....

26 Writing Conferences in September 2020 (most held online)

Back