24 Calls for Submissions in July 2016 - Paying Markets

K

Old newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
It's been said by various fine minds, TS Eliot, Steve Jobs and Alfred Tennyson included, that 'Good Artists copy; great artists steal.'

I don't mean plagiarism, where long sections of a previously published work are lifted and used by an inferior writer; there have been many examples of that through the years.

Nor do I mean the alarming theft of whole ebooks which are hijacked, given a new title and published online under a pen name by ratbags wanting to profit from an author's hard work.

No, I'm referring to when we read a phrase or see a literary technique that we can 'borrow' and turn to our purpose. To a large extent, we writers are magpies picking up anecdotes, interesting snippets of language and overheard conversations to decorate our own nests.

magpie_3007845b.jpg

We're always 'on', especially with a WIP, alert to possibilities. Just recently, I came across a couple of choice descriptions in a novel and a poem. One was in Tim Gautreaux's fine novel The Missing where he described some dilapidated store fronts 'faced with cupped pine boards bleeding nail rust'. I loved the idea of old dried-out timber bleeding nail rust, so purloined it to add to a scene where my protagonist detective visits a seemingly abandoned ramshackle farm, only to find the farmer dead inside, sitting mummified at his kitchen table.

A charming poem An Hour by Polish bard Czeslaw Milosz spoke of the 'zealous hum of bees'. Yoink went I, adding it to my opening chapter where a mysterious woman is lying among the heather on a hot summer day, before going to a rendezvous with a man who will murder her.

That's my confession!

Have any of you stolen anything juicy recently?

(Fess up—it's good for the soul)

Nope, at least not consciously. A technique, yes, of course -- but an actual phrase or expression - never. I just wouldn't feel comfortable about that, unless it was as a deliberate reference to someone else's work. But each to his own.

Pfft, I read when I was twelve that an effective writer is like a sponge -- absorbing anything useful. I have not done it when it comes to phrases, but I plagiarise history in every non-litfic story I write. I rarely have to make up anything but plot. I do this because history is far nastier than anything my rather sweet-tempered and naive mind can dream up. As my friend Kelly says about me: "When I think about you, Kate, I imagine unicorns and rainbows and fields of sunflowers."

No, but I get mind-worms sometimes and wonder why and if and how to use them.

For years I've lived with:

Thy wars brought nothing about. Thy lovers were all untrue.

I discovered it after reading a novel by Norah Lofts, Lovers All Untrue, wondering where she'd got the title from.

Terrible story. As in, horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

24 Calls for Submissions in July 2016 - Paying Markets

K

Old newbie

Back