So ... what's everyone working on?

The End of Big Publishing

Free ebook—Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to put some of my writing out for comment. Can anyone tell me about the Houses?

Now, having read 'how to write a great query letter' I am going to have a stab at one of those slippery things and hopefully will have a version for review in the houses next week. After our house move in June, I hope to undertake a good solid campaign of querying agents, although I suspect it will be akin to an assault across the green fields of Flanders circa 1916.

Now, having read 'how to write a great query letter' I am going to have a stab at one of those slippery things and hopefully will have a version for review in the houses next week. After our house move in June, I hope to undertake a good solid campaign of querying agents, although I suspect it will be akin to an assault across the green fields of Flanders circa 1916.
The worst bit is the "Silent Rejection" - when agents say "If you have not heard from us within 6 weeks you may assume we are not interested in your work." It's cheap, how do they not have an intern to send out one of their standard template emails? And very dispiriting, it make you feel as if your work does not exist. You become grateful for "proper rejections"!

The worst bit is the "Silent Rejection" - when agents say "If you have not heard from us within 6 weeks you may assume we are not interested in your work." It's cheap, how do they not have an intern to send out one of their standard template emails? And very dispiriting, it make you feel as if your work does not exist. You become grateful for "proper rejections"!

I know what you mean—I spent the first seven months 0f 2015 querying 160 agents and publishers with open submission windows. While a few replied within a couple of days, the average wait was six weeks. 54 agents sent form letters rejecting my query. Only six bothered to write a personal reply—these were all small agencies who have the time and decency to be polite—agencies that are part of a large entertainment group can afford to be rude! Guess which ones I'll be approaching with a query about my second novel....

I had 100 'silent rejections'. As I've said before in previous threads, writers need to develop a hide as thick as a rhinoceros.

This shifter book has finally taken on a life of its own! LOL!! We weren't sure we loved each other at first, but then my hero and heroine revealed books #2 and #3 to me and I thought at last! They love me! Not quite yet.... LOL!! I almost broke up with them yesterday afternoon. I had taken off work to stay home and write, but those characters were having none of it. I finally had to walk away for a while. But this morning all seems well again. The story is taking off! It won't be done Monday, like I'd planned, but that's all right. What's important is that it gets done, period, and that I love it enough to want to write more books in the series. :) :)

Well my muse hasn't left me, but my body that has revolted. :( I have what's called BPPV - benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - in US medical jargon. In other words, the world is spinning. Writing this post makes the world spin. Everything makes the world spin. I can't even watch TV. Reading is a joke. I'm on a med called meclizine and it keeps it at bay long enough to do this - write a post - but the ability to do even this comes in spurts at best.

It's caused by who the hell knows what, an inflammation of the inner ear canal, a virus, allergies, or who the hell knows what. It's not life-threatening and we've ruled out endocrine and cardiac causes. My doctor does not believe there are associated neurological causes. In other words, I'm not dying a brain tumor. It will pass in time. How much time? No one knows.

The good news: I'm no longer nauseous to the point I feel like puking writing a short post like this one. I'm hoping that means it has peaked already. This began Wednesday, and Saturday and yesterday were definitely the worst days. The bad news: I cannot even go to the EDJ right now. Certainly can't drive, and definitely can't sit at a computer all day and do my job. And of course my own writing is out of the question right now as well.

This blows.

So... how is everyone else doing?

That's bloody - in the UK it's called labyrinthitis... very very unpleasant. Another writer friend of mine got it recently, maybe it is to do with writing position. Sometimes, when I've had it, it's cleared up quickly with medication, other times it's taken a fortnight. It is best just to spend a lot time keeping very still - and offers excellent opportunities for thinking!

Sorry to hear that Carol. You strike me as the sort of person who has trouble staying still and doing nothing. Can you do audio books? Podcasts? Maybe it's a chance to learn a language (with your eyes closed) ;) Good luck! Hang in there!

After driving across the US and settling into my little cabin, I am finally finished writing my 4th mystery story - all new characters - after writing a trilogy. Tomorrow it goes off to a beta reader. I also just got wi-fi in the cabin and have rejoined the on-line world. This thread was a great opportunity to catch up. Hi everyone; I've missed you.
My plan for the summer is to focus on short stories, because I want my next book to be a collection of short stories that reads like a novel - a la Olive Kitteridge - and I have a lot of learning to do.

After driving across the US and settling into my little cabin, I am finally finished writing my 4th mystery story - all new characters - after writing a trilogy. Tomorrow it goes off to a beta reader. I also just got wi-fi in the cabin and have rejoined the on-line world. This thread was a great opportunity to catch up. Hi everyone; I've missed you.
My plan for the summer is to focus on short stories, because I want my next book to be a collection of short stories that reads like a novel - a la Olive Kitteridge - and I have a lot of learning to do.

All change for the better I hope Patricia, good to see your face again. I am also thinking of a collection of short stories - related to my bigger Middle Grade series I am working on.

Well my muse hasn't left me, but my body that has revolted. :( I have what's called BPPV - benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - in US medical jargon. In other words, the world is spinning. Writing this post makes the world spin. Everything makes the world spin. I can't even watch TV. Reading is a joke. I'm on a med called meclizine and it keeps it at bay long enough to do this - write a post - but the ability to do even this comes in spurts at best.

It's caused by who the hell knows what, an inflammation of the inner ear canal, a virus, allergies, or who the hell knows what. It's not life-threatening and we've ruled out endocrine and cardiac causes. My doctor does not believe there are associated neurological causes. In other words, I'm not dying a brain tumor. It will pass in time. How much time? No one knows.

Have you considered the Epley manouevre?

I put my crime novel to one side when the characters just refused to move forward. They're currently in a literary limbo awaiting my return.
Unfortunately I can't go back any time soon as I've been side-tracked by a jilted man who is constantly urging me to write about his attempts to get off the shelf and back into dating. When I sit down to write, I'm never entirely sure what he's going to tell me, but it usually raises a smile and he often surprises me with a laugh.

I'm writing. WOO-HOO!! Yes, the vertigo is still there, but nothing like it was a few days ago. I'm hopeful this is leaving me soon. :) :) Still off work at the EDJ, but there's not much I can do about that. Can't drive, and really can't walk without feeling a bit unsteady still. Seeing my doctor in the morning (Hubby will drive me) and I'm hoping she will give me a referral to a neurologist. Sick of this crap. I want to feel steady again and get back to work.

The WIP is off to beta readers, and I've begun research for the next, starting with a 300+ page PhD dissertation on a particular aspect of labor relations in the Tennessee Copper Basin during the last century. Being, essentially, a geek, I love research and enjoy reading this stuff. Up next, environmental impacts. Copper mining and smelting turned 50 square miles of forested land into a biological desert. Growing up in such a place, living and working in it, has to affect people's personalities, worldview etc. I'm trying to figure out how.

The WIP is off to beta readers, and I've begun research for the next, starting with a 300+ page PhD dissertation on a particular aspect of labor relations in the Tennessee Copper Basin during the last century. Being, essentially, a geek, I love research and enjoy reading this stuff. Up next, environmental impacts. Copper mining and smelting turned 50 square miles of forested land into a biological desert. Growing up in such a place, living and working in it, has to affect people's personalities, worldview etc. I'm trying to figure out how.
Interesting. Or is there a degree of self-selection, i.e. only certain types of people will go to / stay in that kind of place? From your point of view, I guess it doesn't matter, perhaps?

Since there seems to be pretty decent interest in my Space Opera, I'm switching gears a little bit. While I'm still super excited about the cyperpunk thriller, it seems like a better idea to do a few edits of the space opera so that I can get it out to a few beta readers in a month or two. I'd really love full reactions to the work, so that will be my more immediate focus. I'll get back to the thriller once that's done.

Also still waiting on word from the agent with my full. Getting a little impatient has nudged me towards querying again. I've sent out one and hope to move towards sending a few more in the coming month or so. We'll see how that goes...

Well done! - for hanging on in there...
vertigo-stewart.jpg

I spent last night drinking wine and reading short stories from The New Yorker, tryng to get into the proper mood for writing noir. This morning I woke with a question, If you suffer from anomie (second definition: personal unrest, alienation, and uncertainty that comes from a lack of purpose or ideals.) can you be called anomic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The End of Big Publishing

Free ebook—Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t

Back