So, what did I miss?

Toughening Up the Signup Procedure

A

Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. A smattering of you might remember me; I do see some familiar member names. Hi, Island Writer! Miss you!

I've been gone for a while, but I figure, new day, new forum, water, bridges, no dwelling on the past and all that stuff.

Anyway, my name is Boopadoo and I am a big, dumb gorilla and an unrepentant writer. How have ya'll been? What's new? What's different? What's the same?

Hey Peter, how have you been?

It feels good to be back already...

I wasn't there for the first go-round but welcome back all the same!

Thank you all. I'm feeling welcome, warm and fuzzy already as I work up the nerve to contribute more.

So, how do things work around here nowadays? Do the Houses exist anymore? Back in the day, we submitted a piece for approval. Is it different now? I can't find any specific instructions.

They still exist! After a person posts for a while they magically appear. :)

So, I received a comment on my current status, with questions like "how many words", and "what's it about," etc., so I thought my original intro post would be as good a place as any to "put it out there." I probably should have in the first place, anyway...

My soon-to-be finished “first” novel (the quotes are because I’ve actually written three full novels and have three others in various states of disarray, but this is my first since learning what “publication quality” really means) is speculative/science fiction. The title is Paige 99, inspired by a Litopia discussion from back in 2010 in which the notion was put forth that a good book should be just as captivating on page 99 as it is on the opening pages.

Paige describes herself in the opening scene (when asked “What kind of name is “99”?):
“In an effort to find the counter to the LS7 virus, a human immune system was developed to produce antibodies which would fight the disease. To secure continued funding, a decision was made that the resulting subject should be beneficial as search and rescue, law enforcement and as a research assistant, since immunity to the virus would allow it all-access. It took 98 failures to synchronize the immune system with enhanced muscle density, circulatory issues and cerebral and nervous system function. I am female production lot 99.”

Back cover blurb-in-progress:
2038, New Detroit. Paige lives her life in the sky high above abandoned city streets, set loose in a quarantined and walled-off section of a bustling metropolis, to protect the uninfected from the infected, maintain law and order in a society cut off from the rest of humanity, and help find a cure for a fourteen-year old mistake. They gave her exceptional speed, superior strength and a genius intellect, but never prepared her to deal with the unavoidable emotions and complications of a human life.
Genetically engineered to be the right answer, she finds herself betrayed and abandoned for not being the answer they wanted.
Torn between loyalties, confused and hurt, Paige is hunted by another like her, one created to be a relentless killing machine. Before she and her new allies can turn the tables and return to an existence they’ve come to know as normal, Paige will need to learn the true costs and consequences of life as a woman.

Tagline-in-progress:
Created to be a hero. Never prepared to be a woman.

My goal was to write a roller coaster of both action and emotion, emphasizing relationships and characters but with plenty of good action, drama, horror, and speculatively accurate-as-can-be science.

Currently at about 68k, aiming for 80 - 85k

Several beta readers and experienced editors who’ve seen the first half are all chomping at the bit for me to finish, so I’m taking that as an encouraging sign. :)

So, I received a comment on my current status, with questions like "how many words", and "what's it about," etc., so I thought my original intro post would be as good a place as any to "put it out there." I probably should have in the first place, anyway...

My soon-to-be finished “first” novel (the quotes are because I’ve actually written three full novels and have three others in various states of disarray, but this is my first since learning what “publication quality” really means) is speculative/science fiction. The title is Paige 99, inspired by a Litopia discussion from back in 2010 in which the notion was put forth that a good book should be just as captivating on page 99 as it is on the opening pages.

Paige describes herself in the opening scene (when asked “What kind of name is “99”?):
“In an effort to find the counter to the LS7 virus, a human immune system was developed to produce antibodies which would fight the disease. To secure continued funding, a decision was made that the resulting subject should be beneficial as search and rescue, law enforcement and as a research assistant, since immunity to the virus would allow it all-access. It took 98 failures to synchronize the immune system with enhanced muscle density, circulatory issues and cerebral and nervous system function. I am female production lot 99.”

2038, New Detroit. Paige lives her life in the sky high above abandoned city streets, set loose in a quarantined and walled-off section of a bustling metropolis, to protect the uninfected from the infected, maintain law and order in a society cut off from the rest of humanity, and help find a cure for a fourteen-year old mistake. They gave her exceptional speed, superior strength and a genius intellect, but never prepared her to deal with the unavoidable emotions and complications of a human life.
Genetically engineered to be the right answer, she finds herself betrayed and abandoned for not being the answer they wanted.
Torn between loyalties, confused and hurt, Paige is hunted by another like her, one created to be a relentless killing machine. Before she and her new allies can turn the tables and return to an existence they’ve come to know as normal, Paige will need to learn the true costs and consequences of life as a woman.

Tagline-in-progress:

My goal was to write a roller coaster of both action and emotion, emphasizing relationships and characters but with plenty of good action, drama, horror, and speculatively accurate-as-can-be science.

Several beta readers and experienced editors who’ve seen the first half are all chomping at the bit for me to finish, so I’m taking that as an encouraging sign. :)
"What could go wrong?!":D

Tagline-in-progress:

This sounds fantastic. When reading the synopsis and blurb, I kept getting images of Blade Runner, Deus Ex, and Armitage in my head! :D

Interesting indeed. As for the back cover blur, as someone said to me, in short; too long. But as it is a WIP, plenty of time to trim and refine and not practical until it is finished. Sounds very promising. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toughening Up the Signup Procedure

A

Editing

Back