What Would You Do? So Canva's using AI now...

Question: Are all artists using AI now?

News Litopians, You have been challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake E

Apr 6, 2020
England
Just been tweeking my book covers on canva and came across a section in the options to 'generate' art.

1696537084013.png

Now, I am torn. I used the 'generator' to create this image and I really like it.
Morally, I should bin it... but...
What do you all think?

I like them, but (having farted around with an AI art generator for the sake of a laugh) they do scream AI to me. It lacks an artistic quality.

Tough choice.
Yeah. That's the trouble. It looks good, but it is obvious that it's AI.
AI has a certain style, doesn't it. Odd to say that since AI can only copy, but it does

BTW, who owns the copyright when using graphics made by AI? The AI provider or the person using the AI to create the graphic? Could copyright become a muddle? I'm wondering if Canva could turn around and suddenly want a cutif a novel is doing well? Or are providers not bothered? I have no idea and maybe I'm overthinking it.

@AgentPete?

BTW, who owns the copyright when using graphics made by AI? The AI provider or the person using the AI to create the graphic? Could copyright become a muddle? I'm wondering if Canva could turn around and suddenly want a cutif a novel is doing well? Or are providers not bothered? I have no idea and maybe I'm overthinking it.

@AgentPete?
Depends on the (legal) meaning of the word "transformative".
Very big issue at the moment. Many artists / picture libraries very unhappy that their works have been scanned without permission and are now being sold (somewhat transformed) for profit, with nothing going back to them.
On the writing front, Meta (Facebook), Bloomberg, and others have used a pirated database of books known as “Books3", consisting of two hundred thousand titles, which have been illegally downloaded from BitTorrent. Are we OK with this...?

Something else to keep in mind for anyone thinking of self-publishing: Amazon now requires you to delcare if your have used AI for any part of your book. This could potentially work against you if you use an AI cover as it could mean Amazon will file your book with the rest of the AI generated content (which it is currently being flooded with). The end result could mean the chance of people organically finding your book is reduced even further.

Something else to keep in mind for anyone thinking of self-publishing: Amazon now requires you to delcare if your have used AI for any part of your book. This could potentially work against you if you use an AI cover as it could mean Amazon will file your book with the rest of the AI generated content (which it is currently being flooded with). The end result could mean the chance of people organically finding your book is reduced even further.
This was my concern.

Depends on the (legal) meaning of the word "transformative".
Very big issue at the moment. Many artists / picture libraries very unhappy that their works have been scanned without permission and are now being sold (somewhat transformed) for profit, with nothing going back to them.
On the writing front, Meta (Facebook), Bloomberg, and others have used a pirated database of books known as “Books3", consisting of two hundred thousand titles, which have been illegally downloaded from BitTorrent. Are we OK with this...?
Also, Comic Con is not allowing any AI generated content in the work it features including both written and art work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Are all artists using AI now?

News Litopians, You have been challenged

Back