Reality Check SIG for introverts? Interested?

Amusement Interesting comment...

Question: Change of scene within chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Peyton, Janae, and whoever else. The def of introvert and extrovert that I know is more an introvert loses energy in social situations and needs time alone to refill. An extrovert gets energy from the hurly burly and sinks into depression without it. By that def I would say I am introvert. I can be shy. I've also danced topless on bars though admittedly under the influence of illegal substances. So... I dunno. What I do have is some trauma about people reading my fiction. Nonfiction isn't a problem, but I began writing poetry at a very young age and by her own admission years later- scared the hell out of my mother. She wasn't a woman with much imagination, didn't enjoy reading or even movies. She loved me, but it was pretty much the way you might love ET. I was an alien creature. Doesn't sound like much but the number of times I vowed to give up writing and try be normal would be familiar to any alcoholic. Just to say I understand why criticism can feel personal. And sharing can be frightening. I will say that working my way through that fear has taken my writing to new levels so I can say it is worth it. I'd be interested in knowing what people need to flourish here? Is there a support system needed? Is it just the safety of knowing that whatever is shared will be accepted and not criticised?

I am a very private person and have trouble sharing, too. After thinking about it, I agree that an introverts group might be redundant. There are enough discussion groups, topics, and support for introverts, and everyone, to slowly start participating.

I am a very private person and have trouble sharing, too. After thinking about it, I agree that an introverts group might be redundant. There are enough discussion groups, topics, and support for introverts, and everyone, to slowly start participating.
It could be a place to share ways of working through fear of submission or criticism. That does affect some of us more than others. And we all need to learn to publicise and share if we want to sell books. I have thought of a zoom group for story-telling. Something like a game show-is it true or false. The purpose would be to get more comfortable speaking in public.

There was some discussion of starting a SIG for us quiet types. If enough people would like this, I will do it, but since most of us in Litopia fall into that category, I think it might be redundant. Thoughts? Interested? (@Janae @Pamela Jo please chime in)
I think there may be a flaw in providing a group marked INTROVERT PROTECTION ZONE for people that by definition feel uncomfortable being marked out for attention. You know those roly poly bugs that do such valuable work detoxifying soil? You always find them under flower pots and old logs. Maybe just make a comfortable environment where soft voices can be heard?

I think there may be a flaw in providing a group marked INTROVERT PROTECTION ZONE for people that by definition feel uncomfortable being marked out for attention. You know those roly poly bugs that do such valuable work detoxifying soil? You always find them under flower pots and old logs. Maybe just make a comfortable environment where soft voices can be heard?
I find Litopia a comfortable environment where soft voices can be heard. I don't think there is any need for a further division.

I think we have figured this out. No need for a SIG. I like Pamela Jo's concept of a Zoom group for story telling, but if the goal is gaining public speaking experience, then speaking up in the Huddles might be easier.

I will leave this thread up for a few days and then delete it. Write on! Or as Heather Demetrios says, "Breathe, write, repeat."

I thought this past weekend's Huddle was a little out of control (but admittedly I woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day). In general I think the Huddles are the kindest way I have encountered on my writing journey to get actionable and truthful feedback that isn't mean. Being a writer isn't for the feint of heart, but at a certain point I think we all do need to put it out there. By the way PJ shame on your mom for doing that to you. I'm sorry that happened. I tell my kids to embrace their weird because that's what makes them unique. The downside was the year my son was in fourth grade and went around shouting I'M WEIRD I'M WEIRD when in public, but he outgrew it. What can you do.

I thought this past weekend's Huddle was a little out of control (but admittedly I woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day). In general I think the Huddles are the kindest way I have encountered on my writing journey to get actionable and truthful feedback that isn't mean. Being a writer isn't for the feint of heart, but at a certain point I think we all do need to put it out there. By the way PJ shame on your mom for doing that to you. I'm sorry that happened. I tell my kids to embrace their weird because that's what makes them unique. The downside was the year my son was in fourth grade and went around shouting I'M WEIRD I'M WEIRD when in public, but he outgrew it. What can you do.
My grown sons talk about "Normies" who don't do swords, read medieval manuscripts and study Ancient Greek.
No point in shaming my mother. She could no more understand what I needed preschool than she could paint the Mona Lisa. She was supportive as much as she could be at the time, but a 4 year old who could read and spent all day writing was beyond her ken. She was a very loving woman who gave birth to ET. I would have been the same if I'd given birth to a Motörhead child that wanted to play football. Thank God I wasn't tested that way. I'd have failed.
Other people on Litopia have told about parents actually destroying their writing. Real heart wrenching stuff. Mom brought home 6 library books a week and never listened to the librarians who said I shouldn't be reading outside my grade level. Many people on here suffered much, much worse. But it was enough to cause me problems, that's all I meant to say. You don't have to have a terrible childhood to be left with problems to overcome. Perhaps a group dedicated to overcoming them would be a good idea.

Last edited:
I think we have figured this out. No need for a SIG. I like Pamela Jo's concept of a Zoom group for story telling, but if the goal is gaining public speaking experience, then speaking up in the Huddles might be easier.

I will leave this thread up for a few days and then delete it. Write on! Or as Heather Demetrios says, "Breathe, write, repeat."
Huddle doesn't really give public speaking experience. It was Pete who suggested a group to practice social speaking beginning with something much less sensitive than your hearts blood. Huddle can give people a chance to get feedback on their work but it is absolutely terrifying for many. From conversations I've had there are probably as many who find it impossible to go to Huddle as there are those who do go.

Huddle doesn't really give public speaking experience. It was Pete who suggested a group to practice social speaking beginning with something much less sensitive than your hearts blood. Huddle can give people a chance to get feedback on their work but it is absolutely terrifying for many. From conversations I've had there are probably as many who find it impossible to go to Huddle as there are those who do go.

This sounds like a social anxiety issue. As the mom of a child with clinical anxiety I totally get it, but I'm not sure this is the place to tackle it.

I find Litopia a comfortable environment where soft voices can be heard. I don't think there is any need for a further division.
One of the main reasons I joined Litopia, after having enjoyed watching the Pop-Ups on YouTube for several years, was not just what seemed to be the welcoming community involved, but also @AgentPete's description of how feedback is given on Litopia. I'd been in four critique groups which, though always including nice people who were well-meaning when they gave feedback, tended to be overly focused on line-editing and copyedits, and were often only critical without being supportive as well. Some people always seemed to think themselves superior to others in craft, the "writing police," in effect, and it took the pleasure out of the groups. I suppose to prevent that from developing in a group, we best police ourselves. I hope Litopia stays as positive as I've found it to be, a place where everyone is seen as having something valuable to offer. Warm fuzzies, too.

My first crit group was a complete disaster. All of us wrote in different genres, which meant we didn't understand the tropes of each other's work. Everybody hated literary fiction which is what I write so I never got anything other than "it sucks". No actionable feedback whatsoever. In general it was just a bizarre group though, I learned more about fetish modeling than anybody ever should.

I didn't know @AgentPete had suggested such a group. I think it's a good idea. There is a writing school, The Attic, in Portland, Oregon, that does this sort of thing. Writers read very brief bits of their work in front of the group and then people in the audience rate just a few key aspects of their presentation. Nothing about the writing itself, just things like use of tone and volume, clarity, gestures, eye contact, etc. Everyone had a half-sheet form with boxes to check off, a few fill-in spots for longer feedback, but all very quick and easy. The sheets had the names of the writers who read on them. After each reader had finished, a few minutes were taken to finish up the feedback and then sheets were collected and given to the reader. I think most people found it quite useful. Non-threatening, too, since all were "in it" together. The Toastmasters organization has a really great 3-page .pdf download handout for use as a model for such a form (though much more extensive than needed). They have other tips on their site for people wanting to be more comfortable and effective at doing presentations. Here's the link to the form: https://toastmasterscdn.azureedge.n.../english/8053-generic-evaluation-resource.pdf

My husband got a lot out of toastmasters meetings at his office. I was trying to remember what it was called but I suck at names, can never remember them. I'm glad you brought it up Carol because I'm sure there are lots of resources on the website that are helpful.

This sounds like a social anxiety issue. As the mom of a child with clinical anxiety I totally get it, but I'm not sure this is the place to tackle it.
The issue being discussed is people who have trouble accepting criticism of their writing, sorting out what is useful and what is to be ignored- which I think is all of us to some extent. The point of my first post is that many people have had trauma around their writing and find Huddle difficult. You do not have to have any kind of clinical diagnosis to not want to go to Huddle. There is a reason it is the same people every week despite Pete's urging.

The issue being discussed is people who have trouble accepting criticism of their writing, sorting out what is useful and what is to be ignored- which I think is all of us to some extent. The point of my first post is that many people have had trauma around their writing and find Huddle difficult. You do not have to have any kind of clinical diagnosis to not want to go to Huddle. There is a reason it is the same people every week despite Pete's urging.

Ah my bad, I misunderstood. For me it has been a case of just ripping the band aid off so to speak. I have gotten better at accepting a good critique over time. However I also choose my audience carefully.

I think this is the type of thing that we all have to learn by doing. It was hard for me too when I started but now I’m like a different person when it comes to feedback.

I didn't know @AgentPete had suggested such a group. I think it's a good idea. There is a writing school, The Attic, in Portland, Oregon, that does this sort of thing. Writers read very brief bits of their work in front of the group and then people in the audience rate just a few key aspects of their presentation.
What made me suggest that was the dramatic positive change I’ve seen in writers who have undergone media training. Publishers occasionally pay for this, but not often, not as often as they ought to.

Haven’t thought yet how we might do it here, but I know from direct experience that it can be extremely beneficial.

These days, there are quite a few open-mic reading events (of your own work). Obviously, you need a certain amount of courage to put yourself out there, but it's a great way to practise engaging with your audience, and apart from yourself, you can watch the serial open-mic-ers and learn from the ones you most admire. You can also mingle with the audience afterwards and get feedback. I really enjoy them (but I've been a lecturer, a teacher, an interviewer, an interviewee, Celia in an amateur As You Like It - I don't get stage fright).

What made me suggest that was the dramatic positive change I’ve seen in writers who have undergone media training. Publishers occasionally pay for this, but not often, not as often as they ought to.

Haven’t thought yet how we might do it here, but I know from direct experience that it can be extremely beneficial.
I agree. I like Carol's idea. But I also like the idea of just storytelling in a zoom circle. I do think the immediacy of how not to bore the pants off someone is front and centre with a live audience. It can help crystallise that ephemeral idea and maybe lead to knowing where your story needs to begin.

ON second thought the prize of a number of contests is a sit down with an agent and a chance to pitch your novel. Seriously this needs to be practiced. A zoom call that gives the pith of the story without you sounding like Trump on a bad day means the difference between a deal or no deal. Maybe a social group by genre and topic even? The main point would be to practice that 5 minute pitch, but would naturally lead to a Huddle style Q and A about structure, voice etc without the hot seat of the Huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Interesting comment...

Question: Change of scene within chapter

Back