Question: Should you submit in the summer?

News New writing nightmare unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Q. And I had heard don't submit on a weekend. :confused:

See, it's this kind of BS that's steering me away from traditional publishing.
Are agents really that skittish?

Can't submit in the summer? Or a weekend?
How about the second Friday of the month? Hold on. Is the moon gibbous? Better not.

It takes them 3 months + to get back to you anyway. So i don't think it matters when you submit.
If it does, they've got bigger problems.

If the agent is on holiday, your sub will arrive in their crowded inbox and go down . . . down . . . down the list (I don't know if it's the same for query tracker, but I guess so). Most agents will post on their website/twitter/#MSWL etc that they are closed/open for submissions. I'd just go with that. The luck is probably to catch them when their inbox isn't too full, but these days that's probably well nigh impossible.

If the agent is on holiday, your sub will arrive in their crowded inbox and go down . . . down . . . down the list (I don't know if it's the same for query tracker, but I guess so). Most agents will post on their website/twitter/#MSWL etc that they are closed/open for submissions. I'd just go with that. The luck is probably to catch them when their inbox isn't too full, but these days that's probably well nigh impossible.
What I need is some kind of weather system, perhaps a New York-style snowstorm in September, but just in the agent's area so they're home and yet other writers aren't. I sweep in with my chapters, and they're like, yes this werewolf saga is for me.

Hi, all

I'm getting near to submitting to agents/publishers. Does anyone know whether I should wait until after the summer holidays?

@AgentPete if you get a moment, I'd love to hear from you.

TIA, Rachael :)
Sorry to be late on this.

Seasonality is less important now than it used to be. Heretofore, I would mostly avoid summer submissions and also anything in December – folk were away / na in summer, as @Peyton Stafford mentioned above, and as far as the Xmas / Hanukkah season is concerned, well… party!

This makes us all seem like a frivolous bunch of lightweights, but in practical terms, it often meant that other people in the decision-making chain simply weren’t available in the office. This could kill any substantial deal. So generally, I used to hold off.

Times have changed quite a bit, and working from home plus 24/7 availability via the ubiquitous cellphone, and plus the creeping fear throughout the industry that if you weren’t constantly available you might be replaced… all these factors have made us less seasonal and more responsive to whatever crosses the transom at whatever time of day it comes in.

But still, not a bad idea to check that the agent / publisher you’re interested in is actually around. A quick phone call or email ought to do the trick, and you might learn a bit more intelligence, as well.

Sorry to be late on this.

Seasonality is less important now than it used to be. Heretofore, I would mostly avoid summer submissions and also anything in December – folk were away / na in summer, as @Peyton Stafford mentioned above, and as far as the Xmas / Hanukkah season is concerned, well… party!

This makes us all seem like a frivolous bunch of lightweights, but in practical terms, it often meant that other people in the decision-making chain simply weren’t available in the office. This could kill any substantial deal. So generally, I used to hold off.

Times have changed quite a bit, and working from home plus 24/7 availability via the ubiquitous cellphone, and plus the creeping fear throughout the industry that if you weren’t constantly available you might be replaced… all these factors have made us less seasonal and more responsive to whatever crosses the transom at whatever time of day it comes in.

But still, not a bad idea to check that the agent / publisher you’re interested in is actually around. A quick phone call or email ought to do the trick, and you might learn a bit more intelligence, as well.
Thanks for the insights and fab advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

News New writing nightmare unlocked

Back